Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I went Tiger hunting but this happened...

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Default I went Tiger hunting but this happened...

As a one or maybe two of you may vaguely recall, Larry tossed me the key to his 2019 Tiger 800 XR (the road-going version of the Triumph Tiger) at the Brown County rally in 2019. I was smitten by the kitten, and went straight home and set up a savings account labeled "Triumph Fund".

The thought had been growing slowly over the last several years that I needed to get a modern bike with ABS sometime, but until I spent a little quality time with a Tiger, nothing had really rung my bell and triggered a drool reflex. Now I had a specific goal.

Slowly, oh so slowly, the account grew as I squirreled away every spare nut I could. My hope was that the release of the new 2021 Tiger 900 would depress prices of the old version. I was targeting a 2015-2019 model, thanks to a few significant updates in 2015. I was hoping to make my move sometime in 2021.

Then I started thinking...

• You know, I've always hated windshields. I couldn't get the windshield on Larry's bike in a position I liked. I don't know why, but one of my oddities is that I have a strong preference for a smooth flow of air rather than whatever wafts over and around a windshield.
    • I really wanted more power than my V-Strom DL1000 (about 100hp), but much less weight.
    • I don't care much about passenger room; my wife isn't interested these days.
    • Man, I really love triples. Gotta have a triple...
    • Holy CRAP people sure do want the long green for late model Tigers. And man, it seems like 99% of them are the XC dual-sporters, not the XR.

So then I learned about the Yamaha FJ-09 - 3 cylinder, 115hp sport-tourer, with a little more emphasis on sport. Hmmm... ooh, they're a hell of a lot cheaper, too.

I also considered the naked Yamaha MT-09 - same engine and mostly the same chassis in a naked package. I even considered buying an MT-09 new; they're only $9K MSRP, and a nearby dealer had one listed for $8K.

Then I stared at pics of the FJ-09 some more... you know without that windshield, it looks a lot like the MT-09. And it has a lot of nice little sport-touring features like heated grips, multiple trip meters, better seat and ergos, etc.

So, to make an already long story only a little longer... early in February Tim and I executed a tightly planned COVID-safe blitzkreig mission to Missouri to pick up this 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 in Candy Red.

And then the temperatures dropped. And then a foot of snow fell.

See, in Indiana you have to have a vehicle from out of state "inspected". All they do is verify the VIN matches the paperwork; it's only a legality thing, not road worthiness. In most counties, the cops will come and do this for you, but in Indianapolis, they have bigger fish to fry and won't do this, so you have to trailer the bike to the BMV. Pain in the butt when your driveway is a sheet of ice.

So FINALLY, after two weeks in my garage, yesterday it thawed out just enough to get the bike on a trailer, get the VIN check, and get legal!

Time for my VERY FIRST RIDE on this bike I just dropped a large chunk of change on. Fortunately, it met and exceeded all my expectations.

Best of all, it looks great without a windshield, and works wonderfully in nude form. Although I might try fabricobbling a nice cover plate to replace that Transformers widget.

It only thawed out enough to ride yesterday. I got out for about an hour of riding yesterday, and again today:

I added the Givi racks in back, and I'm using Givi hard bags I already have. A Givi top case setup and engine guards are on the way.

These enormous plastic "hand guards" are beyond ridiculous... they obviously don't divert much air, and they don't offer any drop protection. And they look weird. No idea why they're there, and they might go away...

You can also see the base plate for the stock windshield here. With some hole plugs it looks fairly natural (I need to paint those washers black, I guess) but I can't help thinking a simpler piece would look a lot cleaner. Might be time for some experiments with Kydex.

Basically, where the Tiger purrs, this thing snarls. The "cross-plane" engine has a very different feel and sound, and it really rips hard. This one has had the ECU flash done, so low-speed manners are great. It's also had some very high-end suspension done, although I need to experiment with the adjustments a little more. I think the previous owner (who bought it new) has misconfigured things somewhat.

Overall, exactly what I wanted.

I'll be putting the mighty V-Strom DL1000 on the block soon; I'm hoping to find a good home for it with someone who wants a superbly maintained and completely sorted out traveling bike cheap. So if you know a guy, holla...
    Last edited by bwringer; 02-24-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2002 DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue FOR SALE CHEEP!
    2005 KLR685 - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...

Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Congrats mate. They are meant to be great bikes. I had a go on a nearly new FZR600 years ago, I liked it quite a lot

Seems like we're all buying new bikes. I picked up a TE610 late last year.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Congrats Brian, you're going to love it.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

Nice ride!

Only one question..........will it ever be that clean again?

Enjoy!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!

1978 GS750EC - Nov. 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C
    1983 GS1100E
    1978 GS1000E - current work in progress
    1981 GS1100E - some day may be a work in progress???
    1985 GS550E - might never get to it!

Niiiiiiiiice!
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Quote Originally Posted by 1978GS750E View Post
    Nice ride!

Only one question..........will it ever be that clean again?

Enjoy!
    Come on Ron, you're next. What are you going to surprise us with? 🌞
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Congratulations Brian. I'm sure you will love that thing.
    Oh, by the way, mine arrived in Mesa Az. a couple of hours ago. It will get flogged around some during the next 10 days.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.

marvinsc is online now Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

A fine looking naked Lady Brian!
    2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

robertbarr is offline Forum Sage Past Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Good looking machine! Glad you found what you wanted. Back to another 850...

It has traction control, doesn't it? That could be interesting.

My theory is that they extended the handguards forward to keep lever maintenance simple, with a little styling tossed in. My DL650's OEM guards are much closer to my knuckles, and based on the number of kamikaze June bugs I have to scrub off of them, they earn their keep -- but maintenance / lube of the lever pivot points is now a 30-minute job.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!