Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I went Tiger hunting but this happened...

Baatfam is online now Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Very cool!........
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Congratulations Brian. I liked the way they looked back around the time I was looking for my Bandit but found it was just too tall for me. I'm sure you'll enjoy many a long mile on that thing.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Great looking bike. How's that seat?
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by dpep View Post
    Great looking bike. How's that seat?
    I've only spent about 2.5 - 3 hours in the saddle so far, but you know what? The seat is fine.

Like almost every motorcycle, the online forums are full of people who think the stock seat is a rectal torture device made from asphalt and broken glass that should be outlawed by the Geneva convention. People spend ridiculous amounts of money seeking but never achieving gluteal nirvana.

Maybe I'm the weird one with an adaptable arse or something. On my V-Strom and my KLR, I basically rode with the stock seats until the limp stock foam was completely worn out, then upgraded with a Seat Concepts kit. It wasn't really a problem until the foam was so sacked that I was sitting on the seat pan.

And yes, I've had bikes with truly awful stock seats; the VX800 stock seat was sort of a horrible c-clamp shape that, well, let's just say that whoever shaped that seat really hated men.

On the FJ, the seat foam is quite obviously much better quality and firmer, more resilient stuff than the V-Strom, so I think it'll be a long while before it's a problem.

Lots of folks also complain (and complain and complain and complain) that the FJ-09 seat is tilted too far forward. The previous owner of my bike removed the rear cushions (so the seat wiggled around unnervingly until I replaced the cushions) to alleviate this alleged problem, and several folks have done various things with washers to raise the front and lower the rear.

So far, I think the seat works fine, or at least better than most and far better than the rumors imply. We'll see.

That said, the bike works so well for me in naked form that I do think the ergos would be wrong and tilted too far forward with a windshield.

I'm tilted forward just the right amount for the airflow. My GS850's handlebar is set up exactly the same way for the same reason; just enough forward lean for riding without a windshield. If I installed the windshield, I think there would be too much weight on my wrists, and I would feel like I'm sliding forward on the seat. So that may be the root of the common complaints.

And like every other bike on the planet, there are endless raging forum debates around windshields, and no one ever seems happy. I'm one of very, very few people in the world riding quite happily without a windshield on my V-Strom, and so far I've seen very little implying anyone else is riding their FJ naked. There's one company making a "flyscreen" sort of thing.

My bike was wearing a Madstad windshield, and the owner was 6'3" said he liked it, so I may end up selling it to make a few bucks back.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

gbw is online now Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Congrats and color me jealous. I think Yamaha hit a home run with that bike. Can't wait to see it in person.
    Current: 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by gbw View Post
    Congrats and color me jealous. I think Yamaha hit a home run with that bike. Can't wait to see it in person.
    Yeah, there's a lot to like. I can't believe how light it is. The V-Strom is a moose. The GS850 is a moose, too, but it's somehow a more compact and agile moose... FWIW, I'm keeping the GS850G forever and ever.

Here's a bonus pic from the trip home, deep inside Uranus.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Gluteal Nirvana! 😅
    I love reading Bwringer's posts! I always get a chuckle.
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Quote Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
    Yeah, there's a lot to like. I can't believe how light it is. The V-Strom is a moose. The GS850 is a moose, too, but it's somehow a more compact and agile moose... FWIW, I'm keeping the GS850G forever and ever.

Here's a bonus pic from the trip home, deep inside Uranus.

LOL, I've been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
    ...My bike was wearing a Madstad windshield, and the owner was 6'3" said he liked it, so I may end up selling it to make a few bucks back.
    You might see if you can pick up a cheap stock windshield and cut it down. It'll look better than the bare mount, and still give you plenty of clean airflow.
    I've done that on the Strom, have a Cee-Bailey for colder weather and the cut-down stocker for warmer months.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

I have 2 friends with those bikes. I can visually verify that they do really good wheelies.

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear