splitting my 550 case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

splitting my 550 case

I have a GS550t that's had a rough life. Second gear has been slipping for a while (I just go straight from first to third), and I'm finally trying to deal with it. I've been following the teardown in the Service Manual off BikeCliff's site, and I've made it as far as "separate the lower crankcase from the upper one." I pulled out all sixteen 6mm bolts and thirteen 8mm bolts, and I've removed my ignition which wouldn't be covered in the manual. I've managed to get the seal open all the way around the case except at the front. There's a lump in the front of the case which looks like it would have a secret bolt in it, but I've looked at it from all angles and there's no access to it. It must have a stud or something in it? It's around that lump that it seems like there's something holding the cases together still.

I spent about an hour poking around at it and looking at everything I could think of, and I can't find anything. I'm also not finding any mention of this in the forums, although aside from "splitting cases" I'm not sure what else to search for. Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone else had trouble splitting a 550 case?

This is the front of my engine, upside down. The lump in the center is where I can't seem to get it to split.
    1978 GS750E, 1981 GS550T (550/673), 1979 Puch Maxi

I suspect there's a dowel in there. Try some heat on both halves of the lump.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      I suspect there's a dowel in there. Try some heat on both halves of the lump.
      Thank you. I did try blasting it with a torch, but only really on the top (actually bottom) part. And then I put my torch down and tried to whack on it. Maybe I need a second pair of hands to jam a pry bar into that one notch while I blast some fire at the lump. I'll try that and then I'll try going at it with a couple of air wedges.

Comment

Have you removed the clutch hub and looked to make sure there are no pieces bridging over the two case halves? Oh, there's a pry point just to the right of the oil filter cavity in that photo you posted.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Have you removed the clutch hub and looked to make sure there are no pieces bridging over the two case halves? Oh, there's a pry point just to the right of the oil filter cavity in that photo you posted.
          The elegant way to use that pry point is to run a tap through the hole on one side - and wind the cases apart with a bolt through the hole, against the other case half.

Less potential damage from slipping levers - and please don't use an air wedge on the case joint.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            The elegant way to use that pry point is to run a tap through the hole on one side - and wind the cases apart with a bolt through the hole, against the other case half.

Less potential damage from slipping levers - and please don't use an air wedge on the case joint.
            I've had to use that method, except I found a nut that would fit into the recess on the upper half - no need for the tap if you can find the right nut.
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

I tried getting a bar in that pry point, but I have the engine in a stand and it's hard to get a good angle. I love the idea of cranking up with a bolt/nut or tap. It's the same idea as my air wedges but smarter. I appreciate smart things.

And yes - I pulled the clutch hub and everything I could find that bridges the gap. It lifts off just fine on the sides and the back already, though, so I think it's just this dowel that I'm having a fight with. I won't be able to get back to it until Monday (I don't have a garage so I'm working in borrowed space), but I'll update when I can. Hopefully fire and a bolt will get me moving.

Comment

Over on the other side of the case, where the front sprocket resides & is usually covered/hidden with chain lube, might be a metal plate with 2 bolts.

There's a rubber plug seal behind the plate. It's right behind the starter motor & in front of the countershaft.

On a 1100 there's a nut just in front of countershaft too. Maybe check over there to confirm no nut or plate is holding the halves together.

Also with the oil pan cover & all its bolts removed, I believe one more "internal" bolt is holding the halves together in the front portion @ 12 oclock.

Is your oil pan cover removed? Were there 2 bolts underneath the starter motor?

I'm looking at a 1100 manual, so some of this might not apply, but couldn't hurt to check as all the cases I've split over the years haven't really protested with all

the bolts removed.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Looking at your original picture, there don't seem to be any case bolts in the oil filter housing - which is a classic Suzuki hiding place.
                  I've never seen any inside the cases below the barrel either - that's a Yamaha trick.

I think you've got them all and it's simply a corroded dowel.

Comment

I also suspect I have them all, but I'll give all the spaces a once-over.
                    I have high hopes for using a bolt with that pry point. And more heat.
                    It would not be surprising if the dowel is corroded. I doubt the case has ever been split. This bike didn't have particularly loving owners before me.

Comment

A little blast of MAP gas and a 6mm bolt/nut, and the thing popped right off.
                      Thank you for your wisdom.

I tried to include a photo of it cracked, but somehow between my original posting and now google has made it so I can't seem to link an image so it'll show up. Frustrating.
                      Last edited by jimhickcox; 03-03-2021, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X