No announcement yet.

All Possibilities of hanging high idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You got new boot o-rings, new choke plungers....I’m blaming the carb boots Or their clamps as redman suggested ,especially since you say hanging idle is getting worse.
    spring for the oem boots or be adventurous and try a $30 set
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      You got new boot o-rings, new choke plungers....I’m blaming the carb boots Or their clamps as redman suggested ,especially since you say hanging idle is getting worse.
      spring for the oem boots or be adventurous and try a $30 set
      I uh, did something with the boots lol, if you watched the vid you'll know.

Gonna look and see if I have extra clamps and chose the best one, but if they're all pretty worn it's time to order parts.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post

As for the choke, with the bike running it's normal to hear a hiss as the plunger shuts off the passage to the venturi if you listen carefully.
        With the new seats those plungers are guaranteed not to be passing fuel in the closed position.
        Okay good just making sure, didnt know if its supposed to be like airtight where the o-rings and the visible rubber piece are, the brass bolt that threads.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

20210228_021942.jpg

What is this spring? Never noticed it before. I'm guessing it's meant to be there but at first I thought there was some metal shaving in my engine.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
            Hi, Ian.
            Hope you were happy with the plungers.
            Don't fit the pods. That will screw up the carburation on CV'S big time. Even with a jet kit and dual pods they never run perfect..
            It does sound like a lean condition if opening the choke ( enrichener) steadies the revs.
            It's very difficult diagnosing online but there's varying conditions that will cause the hanging idle and throttle cables and plunger seals which you have eliminated are two of them.
            Air leaks on the intake boots, air leaks on the vac port covers, loose jets, sticking mechanical timing advancer and diaphragm leaks etc are the other usual suspects, even the cam timing a tooth out or restricted fuel supply ( partially blocked fuel filter) can cause this.
            All i can say is work methodically , starting with the fuel supply at the tap and work through the system to eliminate each area.
            You will eventually find the cause if you follow an organised path.
            Using this to keep a checklist, got the throttle cable, plungers, the diaphragms, and now timing advance checked, and I did a little work on the intake boots so possibly getting that one checked, gonna get new clamps for the boots because these are probably worn.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
            X