Timing chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing chain

What are symptoms of a loose timing chain? I keep having this weird skip lately when the bike runs and it doesnt have any sort of rhythmic pattern and it doesnt make the same amount of noise everytime, I dropped the oil pan to see if there was any metal or anything and there was nothing to be found. I'll take the valve cover off to see how the chain reacts but I'm not exactly sure how loose or tight its supposed to be. I'll take a video when I do, itll most likely be alot later today but I might knock it out soon.

If I would have to mess with it how far into the engine would I be going, or rather how much of the engine would I be taking off? Hopefully not much but at this point I'll do it all.

Could this in anyway be an electrical issue? Kindove an extra question but it cant be a wrong one.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

I'd go for fresh gas and electrics first even a spark plug or its cap.
    There are no "symptoms" of a loose cam chain except destruction by skipping the cam sprockets or slapping the case. Cam chains are very reliable. With a wrench, turn the motor at the crank in the correct direction. That's how "tight" the cam chain is. The cam chain is never "loose" at a steady rpm or any other time if the tensioner is working.

You can compare the idea to your rear wheel. As the motor turns it, it is the same as a cam chain without a tensioner. Yet, in what circumstance do you imagine the chain to cause your rear wheel to "miss"?

Check your compression and vacuum if you suspect valve trouble. Otherwise I'd go for fresh gas and electrics first.
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 02-28-2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Are you sure your "skip" isn't the carb spitting back or a slight random miss.
      This would more logically tie in with your idle issue.
      Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
      VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Not sure it's just brand new and I didnt know where to start, the bike does have fresh gas and new plugs aslong as pretty new plug caps. I'll do spark tests seeing if they cut out at all on any of the cylinders
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
        X