• Time
  • Show
Clear All

His last post hits hard.
    Terrible to die so Young.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I too have fond memories of HJFisk and send my condolences. While I haven’t been as active these past several years we rode together in the GSR group several times. He was generous with his technical knowledge and shared his talents to help others. A super guy.
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

RIP HJFisk

I met Harry in the summer of 2012, driving past his workshop right on the edge of Rt 119 in Hinsdale, NH. There were a couple of old GS’ outside in the sun so naturally I pulled over to check them out, see what’s up with these old bikes. Then I meet the owner – Harry. Wow! 6’4”, 280 lbs – he was NOT a small guy. But within a few seconds, it was a great happenstance – what a great guy! Of course we talked air cooled GS’ – 8 valve, 16 valve, chain drive and shafties. A great friendship was immediately born.

He had never heard of the GSR, so I gave him the website and invited him up to the wonderful rallies we had every year up at Moosehead Lake. The riding isn’t great up that far in Maine, what with all the logging trucks and frost heaves every winter. But the campsite is right on the shore of Moosehead Lake and the fellow riders that attend every year more than make up for it. (I’ll never forget my first Rally where I met the Northeast GSR members, but that’s a story for another post.) Sure enough, that next Rally, Harry showed up with his buddy – both on GS’ – and they both fit right in with the rest of the lunatics.

To say Harry knew a thing or two about GS’ is like saying the Pope is a little bit Catholic. At one point in his life, Harry bought out the inventory of a closing Suzuki dealership a few hundred yards down the road – amassing some 250+ motorcycles instantly. One by one, he fixed them up and sold them off making a few extra dollars for the home kitty (and his other passion – racing).

Harry got into racing up at the local speedway in Louden (you NASCAR fans may have heard of it). How Harry fit on a race bike is comical – he dwarfed every bike he sat on. When he rode his GK, it looked like a moped under him…but that certainly taught him how to ride. And ride he did. He could keep up with (or blow off) just about any other rider on any other machine. But of course, he – like most of us – knew the difference between the street and the track, and being the dedicated family man, would rarely if ever, push beyond safe street riding. But in the backroads of New England, that can be very exhilarating (ESPECIALLY with some GSR members who shall remain nameless; Jethro, Skip, Dennis...)

As others that knew Harry have said, he was very generous with his time and knowledge (and spare parts), always ready to help a fellow GS’er with any GS related malady – whether it was a breakdown out on a ride or a weekend at his place wrenching – the issue was correctly diagnosed and remedied. His wife Kathleen is a wonderful lady and has always been a gracious host. She enjoyed rides with Harry up to Maine to get a lobster for lunch, and then ride back. Just a 400/500+ mile day, no big deal… My heart breaks for her to lose such a great husband, father, grandfather – way too young…

As Justin noted, there will be a memorial ride organized by Harry’s brother and Kathleen will host a celebration of life sometime this summer. For those so inclined, there is a “Go Fund Me” page (Fundraiser by Nicole Fisk : Harry Fisk Cancer Fund (gofundme.com), and I hope the memorial ride will add to their goal. And we’ll likely dedicate the next annual northeast Rally in Harry’s honor (similar to Pillage; another Larger-than-life character in the Northeast GSR community, lost too soon to the big C).

Ride safe, live your life well with honor, and do unto others…
        Scott
        1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
        1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
        1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
        2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
        sigpic

Comment

Very nice write up Scott, thanks for that.

You make it sound like Harry was a very special person. Too bad a lot of us (me) never got the opportunity to meet him.

RIP HJFisk. All the best to his family.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Harry (Jim) Fisk "Celebration of Life"

In memory of Harry (Jim) Fisk, and on behalf of Kathleen Fisk, I am happy to pass along her invitation to all GSR members and friends to a Celebration of Life for Harry. We lost Harry Valentine’s Day this year to an inoperable and cancerous brain tumor. At 57, he was way too young…

Kathleen and her daughters Nicole and Megan will host this celebration Saturday, June 26, 2021 from 1 – 4 pm at their home in Western Massachusetts (near the intersection of Routes 91 and 10). If you need a specific street address (for directions), please send me a PM here.
            Scott
            1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
            1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
            1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
            2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
            sigpic

Comment

Very sad news...late as I am. My condolences to the family.

I had seen previous post by him but can’t remember if I engaged. Either way, as was said, WAY too young!

Please post pics if possible of the gatherings scheduled.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
              X