1981 Suzuki Gs450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Suzuki Gs450

So I just replaced my stator and rectifier on my motorcycle. I removed the left side crank case as needed. I put everything back together and now the bike won't move. I put it in first gear, it clicks and the gear indicator says it's in 1st. But no movement, its in neutral. It's the same for the 2nd gear, I'm assuming all the others too. Can anyone help me?

Been thinking this one over since seeing it this morning and the only thing I can come up with is that the clutch is WAY out of adjustment and not engaging.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I’ve been mulling this over too...

“I removed the left side crank case as needed.” Not sure about the “as needed” stuff.
      maybe he took off the sprocket cover and lost the gear shift shaft position...but he’d lose the gear lights too
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You would have likely had to take the shift lever off of its shaft/linkage in order to remove the stator cover. Did you notice anything strange when you put the shaft back on/ reassembled the linkage? I say linkage because I just looked up your bike and it appears that your shift lever attaches to a linkage which then attaches to the shift shaft. Is this what you have?

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The shift shaft may have been pushed hard toward the clutch and somehow released from the engagement with the shift drum?

Comment

I did take off the sprocket cover, to get to the crank case cover.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
              The shift shaft may have been pushed hard toward the clutch and somehow released from the engagement with the shift drum?
              Possibly? but i still feel sturdy clicks when i shift fro 1st to second and neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                You would have likely had to take the shift lever off of its shaft/linkage in order to remove the stator cover. Did you notice anything strange when you put the shaft back on/ reassembled the linkage?
                Yes i did take off the gear shift, but the "linkage" came with it...I unscrewed bolt 29 and 35 and pulled them both off, together.

Comment

I should note that the clutch is super hard to pull in, i messed with cable adjuster and locknut and still nothing. To me, it seems like the pushrod is possibly messed up. I have no idea if its going into the "hole" like its supposed to and i can move it in and out, and turn it with my hand. Is that normal??

Comment

Yes, it should move move in and out freely. About the only thing you can do to mess it up would be to purposely put it in on an angle, just line it up by eye and you should be good to go. Next you want to check that the large, round nylon fitting that engages that rod is moving freely. They can get gummed up over time and a good cleaning along with some fresh oil in there isn't that much effort. With the cover off, pull in the clutch lever to see that everything is moving as it should. You should be able to get the adjustment "close enough" with the cover off and do your final tweek up at the handlebars. After you put the cover back on you'll see a smaller cover on the outside cover with two screws holding it on, under there is a set screw that'll give you the proper amount of play before the nylon fitting engages the rod. Turn it in finger tight to contact the rod then about 1/2 a turn out. As mentioned, you can finish off your fine adjustment at the handlebars. My bet is there's nothing major going on, a little time and patience should get this resolved.
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                      Yes, it should move move in and out freely. About the only thing you can do to mess it up would be to purposely put it in on an angle, just line it up by eye and you should be good to go. Next you want to check that the large, round nylon fitting that engages that rod is moving freely. They can get gummed up over time and a good cleaning along with some fresh oil in there isn't that much effort. With the cover off, pull in the clutch lever to see that everything is moving as it should. You should be able to get the adjustment "close enough" with the cover off and do your final tweek up at the handlebars. After you put the cover back on you'll see a smaller cover on the outside cover with two screws holding it on, under there is a set screw that'll give you the proper amount of play before the nylon fitting engages the rod. Turn it in finger tight to contact the rod then about 1/2 a turn out. As mentioned, you can finish off your fine adjustment at the handlebars. My bet is there's nothing major going on, a little time and patience should get this resolved.
                      thank you so much. this fixed it!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X