Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the 1980 16 valve GS1100L Hard to Find?

Default Is the 1980 16 valve GS1100L Hard to Find?

Hey guys. I'm no where near being in a position to purchase one right now, but I've recently become very intrigued with the GS1100L.
    I'm curious if anyone has any idea if the 1980, 16 valve version is a difficult one to come by? As I understand it they were a one year make.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 03-04-2021 at 08:04 PM.
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

" Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

"Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

The 1980 GS1100L was in fact only built for the 1980 model year. Suzuki built GS1100L s for 1981, 1982, and 1983 as well, according to the model information tab on the GSR home page.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 Yamaha SR500
    1981 GS1100E

Quote Originally Posted by zuluwiz View Post
    The 1980 GS1100L was in fact only built for the 1980 model year. Suzuki built GS1100L s for 1981, 1982, and 1983 as well, according to the model information tab on the GSR home page.
    Right. Zuluwiz, I just took a look at the chart you referenced. I'm talking specifically about the GS1100L with the TSCC, 16 valve engine.

Last edited by RustyTank; 03-04-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

"Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

Quote Originally Posted by RustyTank View Post
    Right. I'm talking specifically about the 16 valve, TSCC engine GS1100L.
    You are correct, sir. Later L models had the 8 valve engine, which was just an enlarged version of the previous liter bike. 1980 was also the only year an L model had chain drive.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    You are correct, sir. Later L models had the 8 valve engine, which was just an enlarged version of the previous liter bike. 1980 was also the only year an L model had chain drive.
    I'm curious what the differences in performance are between the 16 valve, TSCC engine and the 8 valve shafty? I read that the 16 valve engine produced about 10 more HP. Any other pros to that engine or are both engines close enough in performance that it's negligible?
    Last edited by RustyTank; 03-04-2021 at 08:06 PM.

I'll admit I didn't know that Suzuki went to the 8-valve engine for the rest of the GS1100L run. Learn something every day, I guess.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 Yamaha SR500
    1981 GS1100E

Quote Originally Posted by zuluwiz View Post
    I'll admit I didn't know that Suzuki went to the 8-valve engine for the rest of the GS1100L run. Learn something every day, I guess.
    I learn something new every time I log into this site

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

The 16V engine is a performance engine. The 1100 8V came out in 1982 and was more torque oriented. It's also a much heavier bike due to the shaft drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    The 16V engine is a performance engine.
    To get into the weeds a bit, do you mean that the 16 valve, chain drive engine was more designed for high performance and high speed vs the 8 valve was more designed to...oh I don't know be a smooth tourer? I'm trying to understand what you mean by "performance engine".

And can anyone tell me why on some websites it's referred to as a GSX and not a GS? Is it a regional difference?
    Last edited by RustyTank; 03-04-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    It's also a much heavier bike due to the shaft drive.
    What is "much heavier"? Like 50lbs? 100lbs? I'm havin a hard time finding the info on the difference between the chain drive and the shaft drive versions.