Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the 1980 16 valve GS1100L Hard to Find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S.;[URL="[URL
    tel:2643067[/URL]"]2643067[/URL]]In the quarter mile, a half second is a world of difference.
    I take your point Rob, I’m just coming at it from a street riding perspective. To me a half second faster doesn’t mean jack sh!t.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 03-04-2021, 11:30 PM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Wait, there was also a GS1000L?

You can tell I'm gettin into the L's
      Ryan

Comment

A specific, one year model of a 40 year old bike is going to be hard to find, no avoiding that. It'll just be a matter of luck running across one.

Shaft adds about 40-50lbs, and also costs HP, those two right angle turns in the driveline come with a price. If you rode an '80 16V chain drive back to back with an '81 8V shaft drive I'm sure you would find the difference noticeable.

That said, either bike makes plenty of power for any real world use, and I bet you'd get equal amounts of enjoyment out of them.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
          A specific, one year model of a 40 year old bike is going to be hard to find, no avoiding that. It'll just be a matter of luck running across one.

Shaft adds about 40-50lbs, and also costs HP, those two right angle turns in the driveline come with a price. If you rode an '80 16V chain drive back to back with an '81 8V shaft drive I'm sure you would find the difference noticeable.

That said, either bike makes plenty of power for any real world use, and I bet you'd get equal amounts of enjoyment out of them.
          There it is

Thanks Rich. I've thought about it over the last 24 hours and I think your right.
          Ryan

Comment

For me, the noticeable diff. in power from 8V to 16V & chain vs shaft wouldn't be as big of a deal as riding an "L" model. I'm sure they're OK for some folks, but they just never fit me, it seems they put my knees too close to my nose
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I actually seem to own a 1980 GS1100L. I didn't realize that it was an oddity. I've been working on it on and off for a couple years now and have not gotten it running yet. And it is a 16 valve chain drive. For some reason I always thought it was an 82.
              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
              82 gs1100L probably the next project
              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                For me, the noticeable diff. in power from 8V to 16V & chain vs shaft wouldn't be as big of a deal as riding an "L" model. I'm sure they're OK for some folks, but they just never fit me, it seems they put my knees too close to my nose
                I haven't been on one yet so I can't speak from experience but for some reason, and for the first time, that riding position your referring to is beginning to appeal to me. Not that the other, standard position isn't...I'm just up for given the L a shot.
                Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                  I actually seem to own a 1980 GS1100L. I didn't realize that it was an oddity. I've been working on it on and off for a couple years now and have not gotten it running yet. And it is a 16 valve chain drive. For some reason I always thought it was an 82.
                  HA! Well happy birthday...errr whatever congratulatory response is appropriate upon such a revelation
                  Ryan

Comment

Forum long-timer Chef (Bill) has one and has enjoyed it quite a bit. He's a good sized boy and rode the heck out of it with various configurations of hopped up engines. Assuming the L riding position fits you the only negative I can think of is the rather small gas tank.
                    Last edited by Nessism; 03-05-2021, 01:53 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Peppermint Pattie has one, and is no longer able to ride it. (Or is it Gramma Peppermint?) There's a picture of her on it, with extra chrome.

Rphillips - before you blame the L, have you considered it might be your nose at fault?
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
                        I'll admit I didn't know that Suzuki went to the 8-valve engine for the rest of the GS1100L run. Learn something every day, I guess.
                        Yes and No.
                        They didn't really "go to the 8-valve" for the rest of the run. You have to look at the rest of the model designation.
                        The "rest" of the Ls were actually GLs, even though the G did not appear on the side cover. With that "G" in the model, it's a shafty. The first shaft-driven GS was the '79 850. It was followed in '80 by the 1000G, along with a couple of Ls, the GS850GL and the GS1000GL. The '80 850GL and 1000GL were also one-year models, sort of. The '81 L models of both bikes were re-styled and the new look continued through the '83 models. In '82, the 1000G (and GL) grew to 1100G and GL.

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                        ... I'm trying to figure out whether, when looking for an 1100L, it's even worth looking for an 80 model, and what the pros and cons are between the 1980 and the later years. ...
                        In my opinion, the 'pro' of the '80 1100L was the 16-valve head. The 'con' was the chain drive.
                        The 'pro' of the later years (sticking to the L models) was the shaft drive. They ALL had the 'con' of smaller gas tanks and uncomfortable handlebars and seats.

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                        Wait, there was also a GS1000L? You can tell I'm gettin into the L's
                        As mentioned above, yes there was, but it was a GL. 8-valve head shafty.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

NO Rob, dang it, it's evident you have trouble comprehending what you read!!! GO read my post again, it never mentioned my nose was too close to my knees. Could be the placement of the foot pegs on the "L", or my legs may put my knees too close to my nose, but the nose has nothing to do with it.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Can't argue with that. The nose knows. 🤔
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Well, I'm pretty sure that when it comes time for me to start lookin for an 1100L I've got the right group of people around to help me out. Thanks for the great info. This is a fun thread, super informative.
                              Ryan

Comment

Funny, most folks seem to turn their nose down at the L styling, opting to change to straighter bars and a flatter seat. I guess there is some love for the L after all.
                                Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                                X