Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Is the 1980 16 valve GS1100L Hard to Find?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Suzuki's claim for the GS1000 was 90 HP. For the 11E, it was 108. Of course the claim is less than the rear wheel, real world number. The 11E was only 5 pounds heavier than the 1000E.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

    2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    Suzuki's claim for the GS1000 was 90 HP. For the 11E, it was 108. Of course the claim is less than the rear wheel, real world number. The 11E was only 5 pounds heavier than the 1000E.
    That's interesting info Rob. Thanks.

    I guess from my perspective, I'm trying to figure out whether, when looking for an 1100L, it's even worth looking for an 80 model, and what the pros and cons are between the 1980 and the later years. It sounds like the 1980 engine is gonna have better "performance", which I imagine means more torque, faster engine, etc. The shaft drives are gonna be a bit heavier...if that even makes a difference on a bike that big anyway...and make slightly less power...again, I'm not sure that makes much difference, I'm no HP snob. They seem like super nice touring bikes. I'd love to ride one.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 03-04-2021 at 09:12 PM.
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

    "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

    " Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

    "Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    The thing is, not only is the 16 valve (TSCC) a higher performance* engine, non were available with shaft drive.

    *11E vs. 1000E (chain vs. chain), at least a half second better in the quarter mile, and 142 vs. 136 top speed.

    The restyling in '82 not only produced a much better look, but a considerably lower seat height.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

    2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    The restyling in '82 not only produced a much better look, but a considerably lower seat height.
    I'm sure that's all in the eye of the beholder but I hear what you're sayin Rob. I do like the idea of the shaft drive vs. the chain.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    11E vs. 1000E (chain vs. chain), at least a half second better in the quarter mile, and 142 vs. 136 top speed.
    That difference is interesting. It doesn't seem like much.
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

    "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

    " Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

    "Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    ...11E vs. 1000E (chain vs. chain), at least a half second better in the quarter mile.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyTank View Post
    That difference is interesting. It doesn't seem like much.
    In the quarter mile, a half second is a world of difference.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

    2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob S.;[URL="[URL
    tel:2643067[/URL]"]2643067[/URL]]In the quarter mile, a half second is a world of difference.
    I take your point Rob, I’m just coming at it from a street riding perspective. To me a half second faster doesn’t mean jack sh!t.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 03-04-2021 at 11:30 PM.
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

    "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

    " Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

    "Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Wait, there was also a GS1000L?

    You can tell I'm gettin into the L's
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

    "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

    " Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

    "Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,821

    Default

    A specific, one year model of a 40 year old bike is going to be hard to find, no avoiding that. It'll just be a matter of luck running across one.

    Shaft adds about 40-50lbs, and also costs HP, those two right angle turns in the driveline come with a price. If you rode an '80 16V chain drive back to back with an '81 8V shaft drive I'm sure you would find the difference noticeable.

    That said, either bike makes plenty of power for any real world use, and I bet you'd get equal amounts of enjoyment out of them.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichDesmond View Post
    A specific, one year model of a 40 year old bike is going to be hard to find, no avoiding that. It'll just be a matter of luck running across one.

    Shaft adds about 40-50lbs, and also costs HP, those two right angle turns in the driveline come with a price. If you rode an '80 16V chain drive back to back with an '81 8V shaft drive I'm sure you would find the difference noticeable.

    That said, either bike makes plenty of power for any real world use, and I bet you'd get equal amounts of enjoyment out of them.
    There it is

    Thanks Rich. I've thought about it over the last 24 hours and I think your right.
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

    "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

    " Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

    "Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norene TN
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    For me, the noticeable diff. in power from 8V to 16V & chain vs shaft wouldn't be as big of a deal as riding an "L" model. I'm sure they're OK for some folks, but they just never fit me, it seems they put my knees too close to my nose
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •