Vacuum leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum leak?

Back here with the leak still, wondering if a vacuum leak can happen on other spots than the intake boots. I have good throttle response and the
    de-acceleration of the rpm is also quick, no hangs when it does want to work, but when it doesnt it hang close to 4000rpm.

Asking if theres any other spots because for my airbox I use a thick plastic cable tie to seal the two airbox pieces together, you cant find a quarter inch thick hose clamp anywhere and the OEM part is $100, But, if that's where im having sealing issues, than its $100 well spent.

Also can it be the joint that is meant to seal the airbox pieces together, mine I can move up and down and side to side while it's in place, so maybe the rubber has shrunk overtime?
    Last edited by timebombprod; 03-04-2021, 05:13 PM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Can you post a good clear picture of the area you are thinking is a problem?
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Close up of the area, ziptie is supposed to be hose clamp and the rubber seal is easily moveable when the two pieces arent together. Snapchat-541523295.jpg
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Heres a farther view better showing where I'm talking about Snapchat-1328864403.jpg
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Yes, pretty much anywhere rubber meets metal or plastic has the potential for leaking.

I've seen worse clamping methods, but that definitely has the potential to pucker the rubber and cause a leak. The clamp itself should only be around $6.00
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            Yes, pretty much anywhere rubber meets metal or plastic has the potential for leaking.

I've seen worse clamping methods, but that definitely has the potential to pucker the rubber and cause a leak. The clamp itself should only be around $6.00
            Luckily found a site, but it's coming from europe, better than the 130 they want from Japan.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

One other place to check is from the airbox to the carbs and make sure each boot is securely attached. Not just snug but completely on the carb intakes as the older the rubber the more likely it will shrink
              sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                One other place to check is from the airbox to the carbs and make sure each boot is securely attached. Not just snug but completely on the carb intakes as the older the rubber the more likely it will shrink
                They're holding up good, but yes they are shrinked a bit. They are fully secured but i do have to put them on a certain way, start with pushing the 3rd boot all the way on from inside the airbox, then tighten, then I do boot #2 the same way securing the 2 inside boots on, and then 1 and 4 go on no problem.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

If you still have an air leak that is causing the hanging revs or racing it won't be on the inlet side of the carb.
                  It will only be between the needle jet and the inlet valve.
                  Additional air in those areas will weaken the fuel mix, causing it to lean off making the fuel burn faster and in turn causing the revs to rise.
                  This is the same conditions as when the engine will race just as you run out of fuel when stationary.
                  An air leak on the inlet/airbox side will have the opposite effect and cause bogging but it will have to be more than just a small gap.
                  The inconsistency you describe points to fluctuating problem which may not be a vacuum leak at all but something simple as an intermittent sticking throttle mechanism or frayed cable.
                  Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                  VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
                    If you still have an air leak that is causing the hanging revs or racing it won't be on the inlet side of the carb.
                    It will only be between the needle jet and the inlet valve.
                    Additional air in those areas will weaken the fuel mix, causing it to lean off making the fuel burn faster and in turn causing the revs to rise.
                    This is the same conditions as when the engine will race just as you run out of fuel when stationary.
                    An air leak on the inlet/airbox side will have the opposite effect and cause bogging but it will have to be more than just a small gap.
                    The inconsistency you describe points to fluctuating problem which may not be a vacuum leak at all but something simple as an intermittent sticking throttle mechanism or frayed cable.
                    Oof, this is tough. I've disconnected the cable and gave throttle from the rack itself and still had the issue, but the rack seems to go back in place fine.

This is a bummer lol.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

So you've eliminated a problem throttle cable as a possibility. You exercise the rack, it appears to move freely but the bike still sometimes hangs up at 4,000 rpm's.
                      At 4,000 rpm's you should be able to notice the throttle valves opening. I wonder if one or more are hanging up? When the bike is hanging up, can you see any difference in the throttle valves opening in relation to each other? If you carefully tap each valve with a tool does it drop to normal rpm's? Have you serviced the plates or the mechanism?
                      Let me give you a classic example of an air intake leak. A leak between the carb and cylinder head. Example: on a cold bike that has the idle set correctly, the bike starts with choke, warms up about 90 seconds, choke off, and then should hold an idle of around 900 to 1,000 rpm's. As it fully warms, it's normal for the rpm's to rise an additional 100-200 rpm's but that's all. With an intake leak, once fully warmed up, the rpm's will rise much higher than just 100-200 rpm's. So the unknowing owner manually adjusts the idle control to around 1,000 rpm's and hopes the problem went away. The bike is turned off and sits until cold. The owner later starts the bike with choke and as soon as the choke is closed the bike stalls from lack of rpm's, and won't idle until the idle is manually adjusted higher. Same scenario over and over. The intake leak isn't going to go away. While running and playing with the throttle, the intake leak isn't going to be there sometimes and sometimes not. That's my experience. One other intake leak area is the ports where you connect the hoses for a vacuum tool synch gauge.
                      If your bike isn't doing the above, I doubt it's a leak. I think it's mechanical and involves a moving part in the carbs or? I know you said you checked the timing mechanism for proper return, but have you put a timing light on it to see if the timing is correct and reacts quickly and consistently to throttle/rpm changes?
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I’d get new boots as they should all just jump onto the carbs equally at the same time. You should also consider getting new clamps
                        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          I’d get new boots as they should all just jump onto the carbs equally at the same time. You should also consider getting new clamps
                          New clamps already and I'm gonna end up doing a spraytest on the intake boots before I get new ones, and new intake boot rings.
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                            So you've eliminated a problem throttle cable as a possibility. You exercise the rack, it appears to move freely but the bike still sometimes hangs up at 4,000 rpm's.
                            At 4,000 rpm's you should be able to notice the throttle valves opening. I wonder if one or more are hanging up? When the bike is hanging up, can you see any difference in the throttle valves opening in relation to each other? If you carefully tap each valve with a tool does it drop to normal rpm's? Have you serviced the plates or the mechanism?
                            Let me give you a classic example of an air intake leak. A leak between the carb and cylinder head. Example: on a cold bike that has the idle set correctly, the bike starts with choke, warms up about 90 seconds, choke off, and then should hold an idle of around 900 to 1,000 rpm's. As it fully warms, it's normal for the rpm's to rise an additional 100-200 rpm's but that's all. With an intake leak, once fully warmed up, the rpm's will rise much higher than just 100-200 rpm's. So the unknowing owner manually adjusts the idle control to around 1,000 rpm's and hopes the problem went away. The bike is turned off and sits until cold. The owner later starts the bike with choke and as soon as the choke is closed the bike stalls from lack of rpm's, and won't idle until the idle is manually adjusted higher. Same scenario over and over. The intake leak isn't going to go away. While running and playing with the throttle, the intake leak isn't going to be there sometimes and sometimes not. That's my experience. One other intake leak area is the ports where you connect the hoses for a vacuum tool synch gauge.
                            If your bike isn't doing the above, I doubt it's a leak. I think it's mechanical and involves a moving part in the carbs or? I know you said you checked the timing mechanism for proper return, but have you put a timing light on it to see if the timing is correct and reacts quickly and consistently to throttle/rpm changes?
                            When i checked the timing way back when i changed the spark plug caps it sat st the right spot but went way past F when given throttle, but it would return correctly. Is my timing mechanism adjustable?
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                              Carbs were also rebuilt not that long ago so I'd assume theyd be clean, cant do anything until tomorrow involving the bike being on.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X