650 engine modability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 engine modability

Is there any aftermarket support for building a 650 engine. Was thinking of buying a 650 engine to build for more power, I understand the bigger size models have better support and are overall just better to modify but I wanted to build an engine for this. It's not gonna be soon I still have to figure out what's going on with my bike right now, but I'd like to be building something in the meantime. Also I'd think itd give me a better understanding of the inside of the engine, and give me experience of working on the internals of one.

I was thinking about putting a xs650 engine together as theres a bottom end for sale and the guy had the rest of the pieces but this was gonna be built into a chopper, and I'm sure its a hell of a lot easier swapping a engine than it is building a bike from the ground up. Honestly it's more of making a harness that I don't want to do.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

650s were a 3 year model. ANd 650s have some things unique to them. All the other models/sizes had more in common with each other.

A good place to start for learning about engine internals is to get a junk engine, just to dissassemble it.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

So you are looking at tuning a Yamaha XS650 twin ?
      It's been a good 30 years ago but i've built a few fast motors for these ( but you can't compare to a four cyl motor though ) .
      They are fairly robust with roller cranks and cams etc.
      Their was a few shops doing flat tracker Kenny Roberts style body kits, bigger carbs etc and you could even take them out to 1000cc.
      A quick google search shows there's still some popularity and plenty of support for these engines and 750 and 880 cc big bore kits are readily available.
      Check out Heiden Tuning for some of what's available.
      Pistons, Rings, Pins & clips, cylinders: Cylinder and Piston Kit 533 Type Big-bore 880cc 10,5:1 compression [2 weeks delivery time] (heidentuning.com)
      Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
      VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        650s were a 3 year model. ANd 650s have some things unique to them. All the other models/sizes had more in common with each other.

A good place to start for learning about engine internals is to get a junk engine, just to dissassemble it.
        Darn, would the 750 engine be able to hookup in the 650 frame without heavy modifications? I dont know if that's been done
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
          So you are looking at tuning a Yamaha XS650 twin ?
          It's been a good 30 years ago but i've built a few fast motors for these ( but you can't compare to a four cyl motor though ) .
          They are fairly robust with roller cranks and cams etc.
          Their was a few shops doing flat tracker Kenny Roberts style body kits, bigger carbs etc and you could even take them out to 1000cc.
          A quick google search shows there's still some popularity and plenty of support for these engines and 750 and 880 cc big bore kits are readily available.
          Check out Heiden Tuning for some of what's available.
          Pistons, Rings, Pins & clips, cylinders: Cylinder and Piston Kit 533 Type Big-bore 880cc 10,5:1 compression [2 weeks delivery time] (heidentuning.com)
          Surely want to, and want to know the guy selling the bottom end. Hes had a bunch of awesome bikes and has a prostreet gs1100 sitting in his garage. I'd be building a chopper so I dont need fast (but a bore does usually make for better sound ), and yes I've seen that they have great aftermarket support so it does seem like a viable option to do what I'm looking for.

Screenshot_20210117-113223_Snapchat.jpg

This is what I'd be envisioning
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

The guys 1100 IMG_0846.jpg
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
              The guys 1100 [ATTACH=CONFIG]62504[/ATTACH]
              Other pictureIMG_0847.jpg
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Seems to me the "Smart" people learn how to get their machine running right in it's stock condition before monkeying around with mods.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  Seems to me the "Smart" people learn how to get their machine running right in it's stock condition before monkeying around with mods.
                  If you fully read through the post you will see that this Yamaha XS650 is a different machine and bears no relation to the problem Suzuki GS650 referred to in his other threads.
                  Last edited by zed1015; 03-05-2021, 08:02 AM.
                  VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

sigpic

Comment

If you fully read through the post you will see that this Yamaha XS650 is a different machine and bears no relation to the problem Suzuki GS650 referred to in his other threads.
                    So then, you fully endorse someone without proven basic skills to do mods?
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                      So then, you fully endorse someone without proven basic skills to do mods?
                      SO THEN ! That wasn't the point and not what i said was it ..
                      I just thought you had confused this thread and bike with the other thread. SIMPLE.
                      If the guy wants to try engine building and learn by his own mistakes why discourage it.
                      Maybe a different matter if it was serious chassis mods which could fail and kill but if the motor doesn't run the the only damage is in the wallet.
                      But then again where does it even say he's going to do the work himself and not pay a shop ?
                      Last edited by zed1015; 03-05-2021, 11:36 AM.

sigpic

Comment

SO THEN ! That wasn't the point and not what i said was it ..
                        I just thought you had confused this thread and bike with the other thread. SIMPLE.
                        If the guy wants to try engine building and learn by his own mistakes why discourage it.
                        Maybe a different matter if it was serious chassis mods which could fail and kill but if the motor doesn't run the the only damage is in the wallet.
                        But then again where does it even say he's going to do the work himself and not pay a shop ?
                        It's fine he does this alot

And I'm not sure if he read the full post because I said I'd be finishing my bike first before doing this.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Depending on your size...I’d look for GS850 or gs1100 to fiddle with. Lots of these out there waiting for tender loving care. The gs650 is an oddball
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                            Depending on your size...I’d look for GS850 or gs1100 to fiddle with. Lots of these out there waiting for tender loving care. The gs650 is an oddball
                            Yeah I was thinking about another bike, but I seriously need to finish this one before I get another or this one will become a parts bike.
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                            X