Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first car.

Default Your first car.

Thought this might be fun.

As many of you know, my dad recently passed. The other day and old friend surprised me with a photo of my first car. Thanks Kevin Eaton.
    When I turned 16 and wanted to buy my first car with money, I had made working in the tobacco fields I turned to dad for help finding one. Now most fathers would be looking for a conservative not too fast car for their son's first car.... not my dad....he came home from work one day and said "I found a car for you today". In his travels that day he had seen it sitting in the front yard of a farmer's house outside of Norwich with a for sale sign on the windshield. "Let's go look at it" he says.
    I'll never forget seeing it....a candy apple red 1973 Pontiac Firebird, with mag wheels and a 350 big block engine, with shift kit! That became my first car.
    I had so many great memories in that car. One that sticks out was, after a breakup, and what was my first heartbreak, I decided to drive my car with crappy wide tires on it to Simcoe, in a snowstorm, to see the xmas lights, about 60kms away. Already emotional..lol...I put in my tape deck Roxy Music's new album Avalon. It's funny, all these years later when I listen to anything from that album, I'm automatically transported back to that evening in my first car.

No signature

Extremely cool car. Question: when you say "shift kit," do you mean manual or automatic? Column or console shift?

Note: as huge as a 350 V8 is, (in this country, at least), it is called a small block, or short block. A 396, 427, or 454 is called a big block (or tall block).

When my college roommate calls me, we usually spend at least half an hour talking about my first car, a 1968 3-on-the-floor 327 Camaro.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Coolness. Is that some artwork i see on the door?

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    Thought this might be fun.

As many of you know, my dad recently passed. The other day and old friend surprised me with a photo of my first car. Thanks Kevin Eaton.
    When I turned 16 and wanted to buy my first car with money, I had made working in the tobacco fields I turned to dad for help finding one. Now most fathers would be looking for a conservative not too fast car for their son's first car.... not my dad....he came home from work one day and said "I found a car for you today". In his travels that day he had seen it sitting in the front yard of a farmer's house outside of Norwich with a for sale sign on the windshield. "Let's go look at it" he says.
    I'll never forget seeing it....a candy apple red 1973 Pontiac Firebird, with mag wheels and a 350 big block engine, with shift kit! That became my first car.
    I had so many great memories in that car. One that sticks out was, after a breakup, and what was my first heartbreak, I decided to drive my car with crappy wide tires on it to Simcoe, in a snowstorm, to see the xmas lights, about 60kms away. Already emotional..lol...I put in my tape deck Roxy Music's new album Avalon. It's funny, all these years later when I listen to anything from that album, I'm automatically transported back to that evening in my first car.

In those days, i had a buddy that had a firebird we ran around in a lot. We called it the Thunderchicken. lol
    I went to the grocery store and there was a sign at the door. It said no food or drinks inside.
    ........So I went home.

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Don't slam the door.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    In those days, i had a buddy that had a firebird we ran around in a lot. We called it the Thunderchicken. lol
    LOL... yep, we called mine the Firechicken. 🙂
    No signature

Quote Originally Posted by dorkburger View Post
    Coolness. Is that some artwork i see on the door?
    Nope, no artwork. It had a gold pinstripe.
    No signature

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

I was two months away from being 15-1/2 and able to start driver's ed that semester for my Sophomore year. My sister-in-law's sister took my brother and I out for something or other and offered to let me drive her car knowing I didn't have my permit yet. So I drove it back to a family friend's place where we were visiting and sadly that friend's mom saw me get out of the driver's seat. Of course, as it should have been, she told me mom and dad about it and I was grounded - BIG TIME. I was forced to wait until I turned 16 to take driver's ed which meant I had to wait until my junior year.

After I got my license, my dad called saying he needed a tow from the Tacoma Narrows bridge because he blew a hole in the transmission of the car he had bought for me for a whopping $75.. When he finally got it home, I noticed it was the same car I had gotten in trouble with the year prior. I spent my entire life-savings to buy another transmission from the local junk yard and we rebuilt the motor in it. Unfortunately, he discovered the morning after the first day I drove it in the fall of my senior year that we had an transmission oil leak from the left front axle. It sat until that spring before we fixed it and I drove it until I graduated. When I left home for Basic Training and arrived in Guam for my first assignment, I called asking if I could have it only to find out my younger brother had left the windows down on it and the interior had molded. I was upset.

This is not my exact car since i have lost all of my pictures from back then but here is a file copy I found on Google: a 1979 Plymouth Horizon TC3 and yes, it was this ugly orange/black color scheme

Horizon TC3 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    This is not my exact car since i have lost all of my pictures from back then but here is a file copy I found on Google: a 1979 Plymouth Horizon TC3 and yes, it was this ugly orange/black color scheme

Horizon TC3 by Scott Baker, on Flickr
    LOL...Scott, my first wife and I had three of those....
    Our orange one:

Our white one:

And our red one:
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB