No spark on #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    I have had wires without a cap on arc to the engine and put cap on and plug wont fire. End result was the resistor fried. Unscrew the brass gripper thing..its slotted for a screwdriver. Dump out the guts and replace the resistor with a piece of steel rod or other conductive rod comparable in thicknss. cut to length ond reinstall guts into cap. NOTE that caps 2 and 3 ae a spring. Spring goes in first then replacement blank. Screw in the gripper thing. If this solves it i suggest you eliminate all the resistors and never have the problem again.
    Will find out what a resistor is lol.

Oh it's the plug caps, I've changed them all out. I'll do that test though see if I get spark from the lead itself
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

IF the end of the wire arcs to the engine then that means the problem is either in te cap itself or the spark plug is defective. Others will also tell you they see a spark off the plug but install it and it wont fire. Replace with a new plug and the issue is solved.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        IF the end of the wire arcs to the engine then that means the problem is either in te cap itself or the spark plug is defective. Others will also tell you they see a spark off the plug but install it and it wont fire. Replace with a new plug and the issue is solved.
        Unfortunately the issue is occurring before the leads, swapped the leads to see if the spark would move and it didnt, I think it's mostly figured out though, somewhere in the ignitor or the negative wire leading to it. I would have never figured it out, had a guy help me out a bunch. Once I'm back home I'm gonna be using a test light to see if the wires are still live that connect to the ignitor, ifnot it very well might be the ignitor. He checked for continuity everywhere he could think (coilpacks, ignition system on right side of engine, wires connecting coilpacks) the one thing he wasnt able to get to was the ignitor which he calls the brain, and he said dont buy one because if its a wire that's bad I'm gonna spend $100 instead of $1.

I'll definitely keep updates as to what happens.

Gonna have to check the R/R aswell because my battery itself had a short circuit, had 11.5 volts but could still spin the engine.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
        X