Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Funny Car/Motorcycle Stories

When I was a kid, Dad and I (mostly Dad) built and raced (all me) Soap Box Derby Cars. After building the body w/ strips of wood around a form, like a boat, sanding it to shape, adding the helmet rest, etc. the body was fiber-glassed. Unbeknownst to me, dad was using a dark brown Michelob bottle for resin (still not sure why).

While Dad wasn't around, a friend and I were puttzing aroung the garage, and I spied the beer bottle with some liquid in it and thought I would show off a little and take a swig. Well, the liquid in the bottle didn't make it very far into my mouth before I spit it out. Thankfully I didn't swallow any. Mom had me drink a about a half-gallon of milk anyway.

Learned that day not to drink out of a beer bottle that's just sitting around. I miss my dad. Haven't had a Michelob since.

Me and Dad circa @1984?
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-10-2021 at 07:45 PM.

marvinsc is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

LOL, the same is true that is is good to avoid a Beer that has been rolling around in the trunk of a car for a few weeks. (Not Me, a friend of mine many years ago)
    2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Quote Originally Posted by oldGSfan View Post
    I had to bleed the brakes on my '72 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe and asked my wife to help. I'd say down and she'd push down, I'd loosen and nothing. Up again and retry. I was under the car for ages. That car has a primitive fluid limiter that eases the rear braking under nose dive, it's a lever attached to the axle and frame. I got out the jack and lifted by the axle rather than the jacking point to eliminate that as the problem. Back at it, same problem. I must have been under the car for 30 minutes. Finally I asked her 'which pedal are you pushing'. She was hitting the gas pedal. OMG.
    LOL

I worked in a auto parts/ garage in high school. One of the older guys had a car and ask another high school kid and myself to put brakes on his car.
    We couldn't get brakes bleed. After several tries we took a brake (lol ) the whole shop knew we were having problems but they were all busy.

While sitting down drinking a pop, I look over and realized we had front calipers on wrong side and upside down.

I told the other guy not to say anything..and told him what was up and we swapped calipers and everything bleed fine.

What tipped me off looking at the calipers from fifteen feet away was bleeder valve was on the bottom and how was air going to escape LOL.

Not long ago my current Employers mechanic, sixty year old guy who has fixed tons of stuff and is good made same mistake on rear of ford ton truck

So when i was more young and less wise I decided to drive a car up north for my father in law (sort of, we weren't married). It was a mid-90s Toyota Hiace. Manual transmission, no rear seats and "all"-season tyres. I was driving it up the 22nd of december, from Oslo to Alta, through Sweden and Finland. So this is a rear wheel-drive, and it was empty in the back.

Sometime before leaving Norway I gaze at a grocery store considering if we should get a snack, and the car starts fishtailing. I give the road railing a love tap with the rear lights before regaining control. If I was wiser I would have considered the choice of tires right then, but I didn't. We proceed to Sweden where we eventually get stuck on something like a 8 degree incline (maybe 5, almost flat). Some helpful Swede pulls us to flat ground, while inquiring about our tyres. I assure him its all season, not summer tyres. He wish us luck and off he goes.

After constantly sitting correcting the car, and keeping it straight we start approaching Finland. This must be something like 24 hours later, usually the trip would be concluded by then. But I'm taking it slow and the car is not cooperating. Bear in mind this is nordic winter, and the temperatures are well bellow -20c (-4f).

Before a turn I see a raindeer, I carefully turn around it, into the opposing lane, and thats fine. Until I see around the corner for a herd of raindeer. I bop the brakes and the car goes sideways, I manage to get it sideways, but facing the other side, and then I repeat the process hitting a raindeer with the side of car, slightly infront of the wheel. I ask my SO at the time if she was scared, and she was like: "Nah, I felt like you had control"...

We start running out of diesel, and its december 23rd, in Finland, and the temperature is about -30c (-22f). None of the pumps will take my card, the stations are unmanned. I had to remove my shoes and put on ALL my socks to keep my toes warm. Finally after trying all the pumps we find one that will let us fill.

After a while more I stopped for a smoke and to take a leak. The stars were amazing, but I only finnished half my leak and half my smoke before I couldnt stand the cold.

We get to Norway, in Kautokeino, a few hours from Alta and the oil light is on. I realize we have to spend the rest of the night in the car, with the engine off. It was a cold night, but luckily it was late when we stopped and the station opened early. Got more oil and carried on.

My father in law was not impressed with the condition of the car, but we made it. 36 hours, and my upper body was shot. I never spent that long taking that ride.
    GS1000G 1981

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

I'm sitting here chuckling at that story and somehow seeing every bit of the drive. Thanks Noreg

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    I'm sitting here chuckling at that story and somehow seeing every bit of the drive. Thanks Noreg
    https://www.google.no/maps/@68.38599...7i13312!8i6656

Look at this god forsaken city.
    GS1000G 1981

Back when I was road racing my 91 TZR250, I decided to change the front brake pads. Got the job done and headed out for my race. Did pretty decent, I think I was 5th. Came back in and put the bike up on stands. A friend strolled over and says " Hey. How come you put that brake pad in backwards ?"
    Ummmm I had the metal part of the backing plate against the rotor. I pointed off in the distance and shouted " Squirrel!"
    While my friend was distracted I redid the pad. Surprisingly no damage to the rotor.

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

My buddy (CB750) and I (Kaw 903) were cruising down a local road just made for exceeding the 35 mph limit. We both had pods and pipes and the music was growing. I was in first around 5k rpm, just about to open the throttle wide when I saw the most peculiar thing:

On the sidewalk, a young boy was holding a tennis racket with a sign attached. It said, "POLICE AHEAD." Sure enough, an unmarked radar car was in a driveway on the next block (trespassing).

For some reason, I was sure it was his mother, not his father that put him up to it. I can't speak for my friend, but I was surely saved from a ticket that day. Game, set and match for the Kawasaki.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

I was stationed at Anderson AFB Guam when I was 18/19 and drove a Pontiac T1000 (think Chevette) boonie car. I was coming back to the base one night from being on the far end of the island and already running late for my midnight shift at the base's telephone switchboard. The road I was on went from four lanes to two and I ended up behind who I thought was Grandpa (he was definitely smarter than me). Of course, so I decided to floor it and swung around him in the right lane to get back before the merge. Unfortunately, I ran off the right edge of the road and sliced the inside of one tire (roads were made of coral) when I tried to come back onto the road. Obviously I had to pull off to replace the flat which, of course, made me even later but fortunately my co-worker didn't get too upset with me.

I won't say I have outgrown my impatience but I like to use that to remind the kids against doing what I did.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

When I was in High School I worked at a Mobil station that was right by the Ontario airport and CHP office on Rt. 10. Those were days of rationing and odd/even distribution by license plate #. Pretty testy times with fights in lines etc, but to stick to one story - one day a guy came in and ripped off a tank of gas, peeling out and heading West on the freeway toward Pasadena. I had the CHP on the phone in a minute as I had a direct line; we serviced their cars. I really didn't care that much except I'd have to pay the shortfall in $ at the end of the night.

After giving the cops the description ('63 Impala from memory) I hung out and waited. 20 minutes later the guy pulled in with the cruiser behind. The cop asked me 'was this the guy'? I said yep, and the guy protested a bit. I asked him to check his gas cap, and he realized it was missing. There it was, on top of the pump. It didn't end well for him. Nowadays I'd keep my mouth shut for fear of being shot!
    Tom