Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how often should our gear armor be replaced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how often should our gear armor be replaced?

Here is why I ask....
    Pulled out an older, leather jacket I've always liked, but don't wear much.
    Had trouble getting my arm in, and with some investigation, I found this.

Checked my fabric Joe Rocket jacket, and found the elbow pads had separated at the flexible joint.

Got two new sets on order, for these jackets....
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

It's the sugar in the lollipops what did it ?
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I'm curious to see people's opinions myself
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have had this same thing happen with the foam stuff, lasts....maybe 2 years.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          . . . . . , I found this.
          I will blame it on your awfull weather, and be glad I dont have to deal with it.

(joking)

Hum.... my jacket is fairly new, but I should inspect my riding pants.

Probably not a concern with older jacket that has the hard plastic cups.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The pictured stuff must be really old! but otherwise I'm not suprised that the Joe Rocket pads fatigued at the joints. The type of foam used is probably prone to it. It's a lot to ask of foam to be stiff enough for an impact or abrasion and yet flexible at the same time.
            I haven't looked closely, but I think the newer pads or the more expensive ones use different material nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              The pictured stuff must be really old! but otherwise I'm not suprised that the Joe Rocket pads fatigued at the joints. The type of foam used is probably prone to it. It's a lot to ask of foam to be stiff enough for an impact or abrasion and yet flexible at the same time.
              I haven't looked closely, but I think the newer pads or the more expensive ones use different material nowadays?
              I'll find out soon, once the new ones arrive.
              The leather jacket is at least 12 years old, maybe more.
              It still looks great, though, as I didn't use it much. (And it didn't really fit for many of those years..ah-hem )

Comment

My Gericke textile jacket that's over 15 years old has foam that's still pretty flexible. The foam is similar in thickness and density to those lock together floor tiles. Tested in a couple of oops moments of careless or neglectful side stand mishaps, it has saved my elbow. I've always wondered how it would perform at higher speed. Surely over time it degrades, even if not falling apart.

The Sedici and Iron Worker stuff from Cycle Gear has a more dense, but still flexible material. I don't notice a difference in five year old pads compared to new ones.

We've got a few Xelement and TourMaster jackets that are several years old and they're fine (to the touch) as well. Maybe storing in the house instead of the extremem heat and cold of the garage helps prolong their life.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I don't know....Last time I wore the jacket I didn't notice any issues.

My gear was always in a heated garage....but maybe summer heat. Still, I have other old jackets that seem fine.

Comment

I would move to the D30 or similar pads if I was replacing. The stuff in my Motoport stuff has held up well over at least 10 years, lots of use, lots of high temperature stuff....
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Five years is the outer limit I've seen, at least for textile gear that gets used once in a while. Usually something like a burst seam or a bad zipper sends stuff to the garbage, but I've seen foam armor fall apart a few times too.

I do have a Belstaff waxed cotton "Drizabone" jacket in the closet that my wife-to-be bought me for Christmas in I think 1995. It may be the coolest garment I will ever own.

It fits me once again, and seems to be in fine shape, and could be re-proofed easily to be as waterproof as ever. But it's so old-school that there's no armor, just a wee bit of quilting at the elbows with the tiniest hint of padding. I'm sticking to modern armored gear, thanks.

I also have my leather "biker" jacket from my high school and college punk rock days in the closet. It actually fits too nowadays, but it's even less suitable for actual motorcycling. And at a greying 52, I don't really have any business wearing it out in public unless it's Halloween, or the Dead Kennedys or the Descendents re-form and come to town.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The Motoport gear is very long lasting but also quite expensive to start with... not sure I would buy it without being close enough to have them customize it though
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just a quick follow up on this.

The Joe Rocket and the Power Trip jacket use the same armor, so I ordered a new set elbow and shoulder pads for both jackets.
                          They are on the bench know, waiting for me to fight them into place.

The interesting thing is none of our other gear seemed to have this issue.
                          All my wife's gear, and all my other gear, some older and some newer, are fine.

That's all I know....

Comment

I figure if it's the old foam type armor, it needs to be replaced. My tourmaster jacket (6 years old) has a foam back protector, it was thin to begin with and I'm looking to replace it soon. The elbow and shoulder pads are still fine.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I didn't wait for my Joe Rocket armour to deteriorate I upgraded to D30 armour. Great value and it's not that expensive and much better than what comes in the Joe Rocket.
                              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Working...
                              X