82 gs750 6 sigma stage 3 kit problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs750 6 sigma stage 3 kit problems

Hey, I've got a 82 gs750. I put a 6 sigma jet kit on it and can't get it to run right I'm stumped, the carbs were soaked and cleaned so I know they are good, I also just set the valves, I have k&n pods, stock exhaust 135 jets on cylinder 1&4 and 137.5 on 2&3 just as instructed, 47.5 pilots, and 160 air, I have tried the mixture screw
    For 1 turn to 4 turns. bike idles beautiful, does have a high idle that will go away after sitting a minute at idle. but if I rev it hard, it will just spit and sputter and stumble, and rev a little maybe 2k max then spit n sputter in a cycle if I kinda play with the throttle it will rev all the way, once it's in higher rpm it revs fine, so I taped half the breathers and it runs better which would me to much air normally? But ain't the main jets already huge to accommodate the pods, also under load if I lay into it it will kinda vog and stay the same if I ease into it it will shoot like a rocket. Do I need to go up more jet sizes or find different filters the k&n pods say high flow on them did I order the wrong pods, should I get different filters. I know you guys hate these questions, but I've read this form for 3 days before deciding to ask I've done everything in the stickeys to do before asking, I'm thinking bigger mains? But like I said the feel 135 & 137.5 are pretty big. It's drinkingfuel it seems please any advicewould be greatlyappreciated and if it doe sputter need bigger jets I apologizefor this post[PHP][/PHP]
    1982 GS750 T

Also I have no leaks anywhere tested heavily with carb cleaner
    1982 GS750 T

Comment

Also new petcock, I line fuel filter clean fuel, and when I took the carbs apart they didn't have the pilot rubber plugs in, I installed new ones that came with the rebuild kit are they supposed to have the rubber plugs over the pilot jet
      1982 GS750 T

Comment

I'd just go back to an airbox and stock jets but if you want to run pods I'd say get an exhaust to match the flow. Just wait for more opinions and also answers to help
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Stock air box was already gone when I got the bike and I'm 180 in the filters and 90 in the jet kit to much money to go back lol
          1982 GS750 T

Comment

The problems you're having are related to needle size/position
            Main jets have zero effect under half throttle
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

20210306_001205.jpg this is my needle the instructions said to add shims under the clip but adding shims under the clip would not change the needle height so I removed the plastic spacer on the top and put the smaller shim on that came with the kit
              1982 GS750 T

Comment

16150870882263213227273350584208.jpg this is the instructions it also had me drill the vacuum hole bigger in the slide, so do you think I need to put the needle back to stock height, I've tried it with no shim on the top (removed the stock one) then put one half the thickness of the stock on, haven't tried it with the stock on yet in the first pics could that be my problem the needle is up to high? The instructions said it needs to be raised up for the kit
                1982 GS750 T

Comment

I know in the dynojet kits they have you sand the needle down to a smaller point do you think that I should thin it down
                  1982 GS750 T

Comment

In the one sentence in the instructions it says "the threaded needle retainer may need to be filed/shaved by .050 what does it mean by the threaded needle retainer, is that referring to the plastic that goes on top of the needle then held into place by the snap ring
                    1982 GS750 T

Comment

And the issue may be closer to the 3k to 4k rpm range
                      1982 GS750 T

Comment

here is what it's doing if I hold the throttle it will cycle rev up a little then bog pretty the same as me giving it throttle
                        1982 GS750 T

Comment

Anyone? If it's in the needle anyone have an idea of what I need to do, I've raised and and put it back to stock
                          1982 GS750 T

Comment

Also the floats are adjusted about as high as I can go without it overflowing
                            1982 GS750 T

Comment

You said it came without stock airbox setup, what was the jetting setup - mikuni ? Did it run when you got it?
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X