Front brake rubbing and axle space orientation - 82 GS750T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake rubbing and axle space orientation - 82 GS750T

What is the correct orientation of the spacer on the left hand side of the front axle? This is the spacer with a ridge on one end. If I put the ridge on the inside of the fork, the front brake fits great, but the tire rubs the inside of the fender in the right side and is visually to right of center. If I put the ridge on the outside (pictured), the tire is centered but I can't fit the brake caliper back on, as there doesn't seem to be enough space on the left side.

I should note also that I squeezed the brake while it was off to test the brake light I installed in the rear and it clamped down tight, so I wonder if it's not open far enough...? anyway, I want to ride, but I hear that the front brake is pretty important ...

IMG_20210306_173802715.jpg
    1982 GS 750-T

I was going to offer to look in one of my manuals or take a pic in the morning. But your pic tells me you don’t have the original forks from an 82 750 T. Do you know what front end is on your bike? If so, you should find the info you need in a parts fiche on any on the online parts sellers like partshark.com. Or in the factory Service manual, most of which are available for free download on BikeCliffs Website.

Welcome to the site.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Appears to be an 83 1100E front end from the limited view. On my setup the same the "ridge" you're talking about goes on the inside next to the speedo drive.

Is everything right on the other side? Is the speedo drive seated properly?

I would push the brake pistons all the way back & start from there.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This is the best pic I have (from when I first bought my "T") of the area in question (and I looked as good as I could):

Those are emulators (I think that's the term) on your "T" which are on the 82/83 GS1100 front end.

And I have that set up to upgrade to dual front disc.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-09-2021, 05:41 PM.
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Here's a better pic...I don't have the spacer like your fork does...My Parts Bike (which is another "T") has the axle reversed; the thread is on this side of the fork. The fiche does not show a spacer on this diagram: https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts...-wheel-model-z

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-10-2021, 04:51 PM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Forgot to mention...post pics of your "T" here: (when you come back)

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I just got this explained to me...those are “anti-Dive” units on your forks. Emulators go inside the forks and regulates the oil.

Thanks MrBill!

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Thanks for your input.

It turns out that it has GS1100 forks on a GS750 triple clamp. The GS750 clamp is 10mm narrower than the GS1100, so in order to keep the brake system in line the whole thing has to be off center.

I intend to correct the whole thing with a new GS1100 triple clamp from eBay, which will get the whole thing centered.
                1982 GS 750-T

Comment

That's cool you figured it out!

10mm is quite the difference. Post pics of your bike on the "T" thread too!

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                  X