New project Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project Bike

Hoping to restore this and just get it running. 1980 GS850GL I believe.A lot of work, in rough shape. Apparently it has a leaking head gasket from what the PO said. Last night one of the exhaust bolts broke off flush, the rest came out without issue. It has a rusty gas tank, with a half inch hole. No battery. When the time comes I’ll just throw in a new stator and upgrade the R/R. I have to start acquiring certain tools to do the head gasket properly (I already have a good amount of tools) . The outside of the engine looks very rough from all the corrosion. I’ll try and post more pictures later.
    C3AF92E1-5198-4936-BC5C-EF0DA82245DA
    Last edited by BlackThunder; 03-10-2021, 11:29 AM.

Hello BlackThunder. Can you add a little detail to your post? At the very least Model/Year?
    I know what the model is only because I've read your other posts regarding the tank. But other folks may not know.
    I feel like it's just good form to add a bit of detail in your post. Maybe I'm wrong
    Last edited by RustyTank; 03-08-2021, 04:42 PM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Put it in the signature and you'll never have to do it again.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Looks like a 850G?
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 03-10-2021, 06:35 AM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Also when I drained the oil. It had a bunch on dirt or something in the oil filter area. It kind of looks like coffee grinds and they were all over the oil filter. Not sure if it was just the oil filter deteriorating or what...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackThunder View Post
            1980 GS850GL I believe.
            Your bike is a GS850G. A GL has more of a chopper look to it. Just google the GS850GL and you'll see what I mean.

Last night one of the exhaust bolts broke off flush, the rest came out without issue.
            Ouch! Sorry bout that. There are plenty of guys on here that can help with advice on how to get that bolt out, if ya need it.

It has a rusty gas tank, with a half inch hole.
            I saw your other post specifically about the tank. Have you had any luck sourcing one? They're out there for sure. You can also post in the parts wanted section of this forum.

When the time comes I’ll just throw in a new stator and upgrade the R/R.
            A series R/R is recommended. The Shindingen SH775 is very popular among folks in this forum.
            Ryan

Comment

[QUOTE=A series R/R is recommended. The Shindingen SH775 is very popular among folks in this forum.[/QUOTE]

I had an SH775 On my old GS850GL. With the help of my friend we installed everything and it should have been charging great, but after opening the stator cover It was fried so it wouldn’t charge anyway. Still confident we did the R/R mod correct though.

what do you think about the dirty, coffee ground particles in the oil filter area? I’m hoping that it’s just particles from the oil filter sitting in there for so long

Comment

It is the Suzuki version of the Indonesian coffee delicacy Kopi luwak - partially digested coffee beans. Brew some up, they are tasty!

But seriously folks, I'd take a bit of that and do a between the fingers and see if it's gritty test. Kind of tough to diagnose remotely. I'd probably also take the oil pan off and have a look-see.

I had an SH775 On my old GS850GL. With the help of my friend we installed everything and it should have been charging great, but after opening the stator cover It was fried so it wouldn’t charge anyway. Still confident we did the R/R mod correct though.

what do you think about the dirty, coffee ground particles in the oil filter area? I’m hoping that it’s just particles from the oil filter sitting in there for so long
                Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-10-2021, 04:12 PM.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Also when I drained the oil. It had a bunch on dirt or something in the oil filter area. It kind of looks like coffee grinds and they were all over the oil filter. Not sure if it was just the oil filter deteriorating or what...
                  This could be bits of either of the front or rear cam chain guide highlighted in the pic below. When you have the valve cover off to check valve clearance (you've done this, right?) you can see the tops of these only as they go all the way down into the top engine case. You might be able to see if either has been chewed by the can chain (bad sign)
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                    You might be able to see if either has been chewed by the can chain (bad sign)
                    Ok, I'll be the one to ask. Why is this a bad sign Rich?
                    Ryan

Comment

Rusty.I'm certainly not to most experienced in this, but if the chain is slapping the chain guides to chew chunk off of it, I would think that that COULD mean there are other un-forseen issues: Maybe the tensionser isn't working as it should. This is a easy rebuild, but does take time ordering parts, tearing more apart that you thought you had to, researching the rebuild process (It's on BikeCliff's), putting everything back together. Maybe a cam jumped a tooth somehow and caused some damage other than just throwing off the timing. I'm sure the plastic bits in there, if that's what they are, could have other implications that I am unaware of. I think David won't know until he takes the cover off and takes a look, but that look may not reveal everything that's going on or has gone one in the engine.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        Rusty.I'm certainly not to most experienced in this, but if the chain is slapping the chain guides to chew chunk off of it, I would think that that COULD mean there are other un-forseen issues: Maybe the tensionser isn't working as it should. This is a easy rebuild, but does take time ordering parts, tearing more apart that you thought you had to, researching the rebuild process (It's on BikeCliff's), putting everything back together. Maybe a cam jumped a tooth somehow and caused some damage other than just throwing off the timing. I'm sure the plastic bits in there, if that's what they are, could have other implications that I am unaware of. I think David won't know until he takes the cover off and takes a look, but that look may not reveal everything that's going on or has gone one in the engine.
                        Awesome, full answer. Thanks Rich
                        Ryan

Comment

So I looked inside the stator cover. Also same stuff, I’ll post the pictures in a bit. It looks like a fine cut tobacco

Comment

Bits of clutch fibre.
                            My oil strainer was nearly clogged with it.
                            You need to drop the sump and clean the strainer, else the engine will go terminal.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

IMG_0215 by David Torres, on IMG_0228 by David Torres, on IMG_0226 by David Torres, on IMG_0217 by David Torres, on Flickr
                              Last edited by BlackThunder; 03-10-2021, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X