Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New project Bike

Rusty.I'm certainly not to most experienced in this, but if the chain is slapping the chain guides to chew chunk off of it, I would think that that COULD mean there are other un-forseen issues: Maybe the tensionser isn't working as it should. This is a easy rebuild, but does take time ordering parts, tearing more apart that you thought you had to, researching the rebuild process (It's on BikeCliff's), putting everything back together. Maybe a cam jumped a tooth somehow and caused some damage other than just throwing off the timing. I'm sure the plastic bits in there, if that's what they are, could have other implications that I am unaware of. I think David won't know until he takes the cover off and takes a look, but that look may not reveal everything that's going on or has gone one in the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Rusty.I'm certainly not to most experienced in this, but if the chain is slapping the chain guides to chew chunk off of it, I would think that that COULD mean there are other un-forseen issues: Maybe the tensionser isn't working as it should. This is a easy rebuild, but does take time ordering parts, tearing more apart that you thought you had to, researching the rebuild process (It's on BikeCliff's), putting everything back together. Maybe a cam jumped a tooth somehow and caused some damage other than just throwing off the timing. I'm sure the plastic bits in there, if that's what they are, could have other implications that I am unaware of. I think David won't know until he takes the cover off and takes a look, but that look may not reveal everything that's going on or has gone one in the engine.
    Awesome, full answer. Thanks Rich
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

" Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

"Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

So I looked inside the stator cover. Also same stuff, Iíll post the pictures in a bit. It looks like a fine cut tobacco

Bits of clutch fibre.
    My oil strainer was nearly clogged with it.
    You need to drop the sump and clean the strainer, else the engine will go terminal.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Last edited by BlackThunder; 03-10-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimly View Post
    Bits of clutch fibre.
    My oil strainer was nearly clogged with it.
    You need to drop the sump and clean the strainer, else the engine will go terminal.
    Is there any way I can check if the engine isn't already terminal? It wasn't running and didn't come with a battery. I paid $100

Hey guys, just checking if anyone can chime in on what they think the culprit is in the pictures I posted. Bits of clutch in the oil, or the bits of the cam chain guides in the oil? Also if it ends up being the clutch, I'm gonna have to drop the sump and clean the strainer like grimly said. Is there a thread I can follow to reference that.

Have you tried to spin the engine with a 19mm socket on the right end of the crank shaft, so you at least know that the motor turns? You have to take the signal generator generator cover off first. Take the spark plugs out and put a finger over each hole, in turn, as you turn the crank. Standing at the right side of the bike, be sure to only turn the engine clockwise. You should feel suction, alternating with air blowing your finger off the spark plug hole as you turn the crank. If no go, decide if you want to go any further, a full tear down is in your future. If the engine spins, and you have compression, carry on.

My best guess on the foreign substance, after seeing the pics, agree with Grimly, looks like maybe clutch drive plate friction material. Since you’ve already drained the oil, go ahead and take the clutch cover off and look at the plates, that will tell you. Also agree with dropping the oil pan and cleaning the oil pump strainer.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-11-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Yep, and even if the strainer turns out to be clear, at least you KNOW it's clear, and needn't worry about it.
    Honestly, I was quite surprised at the amount of muck trapped in mine, as the engine hadn't given the slightest sign of trouble, but if I'd left it for another year or two, it might have been a write-off.

---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

The motor turns. The right side spark plug holes have suction, the Left side itís hard to tell if it has good suction, not sure if my finger was covering the hole that great. But they still blow air out. Also the inside of the clutch cover is nasty and the same as the oil filter area.