Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get some reverse drill bits at HF
    Center punch the bolt
    Using the smallest bit, create a perfectly centered hole, then drill in a half inch or so, lubing as you go
    Go up a drill size and go deeper
    Repeat until the bolt remnant spins out
    Do not use an EZout
    If you're good, no tap needed
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Tried the reverse drill bit. A bunch of bits of bolt Came out, biggest bit in the kit is still barely not big enough so thereÂ’s still bolt In there... do I just buy a larger drill bit And keep drilling ?
      Last edited by BlackThunder; 03-16-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Cleaning up the black dried up oil pan &other covers with the same stuff. Using simple green and dawn soap Finished with brake cleaner. Also trying to salvage the slightly rusted handlebars with steel wool & polish. Still haven’t got the broken exhaust stud. It’s basically just a hollow bolt left in there now.

Comment

I was told to try one of these kits885911591317 by David Torres, on Flickr
          Here is the oil strainer885911591317 by David Torres, on Flickr
          Notice the scratches inside the oil pan in the next 2 pictures(is this something to cause alarm)IMG_0235 by David Torres, on IMG_0236 by David Torres, on Flickr
          The seat pan IMG_0198 by David Torres, on Flickr
          Front fender chrome is in terrible condition, wonder if there is a way to remove the chrome plating and just paint it to save the part...IMG_0189 by David Torres, on Flickr

Comment

The best way of using those screw extractors is to carefully grasp them in your left hand and with your right, open the lid of your bin and drop them in with your left.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              The best way of using those screw extractors is to carefully grasp them in your left hand and with your right, open the lid of your bin and drop them in with your left.
              Thanks for the advice. How should I actually get the last bits out? Just drill it all the way through?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackThunder View Post
                Thanks for the advice. How should I actually get the last bits out? Just drill it all the way through?
                That's what's worked for me most times. Get a set of Left-hand drills in staged sizes.
                Sure, I've had the odd success with extractors, but not that type. In fact, that type of extractor is notorious for breaking off and leaving you with a worse problem.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by BlackThunder View Post
                  Tried the reverse drill bit. A bunch of bits of bolt Came out, biggest bit in the kit is still barely not big enough so thereÂ’s still bolt In there... do I just buy a larger drill bit And keep drilling ?
                  Yes, but check your depth. If you drill too deep, you could hit an oil passage.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Nobody, IMO, should try extracting screws without a visit for an hour or so to You Tube to watch & see what others do. Much better than attacking a touchy little mess with no experience.

Comment

Before joining this forum I used a screw extractor to remove a snapped off bolt on the starter motor cover. It promptly snapped leaving me with not only a broken bolt but a snapped off extractor as well. There was no way to get it out as it was hardened steel and could not be drilled out. Fortunately there was enough aluminum to drill down underneath beside it with a tiny drill bit from 3 spots. I then tapped the bolt and extractor down into the casing re tapped the enlarged hole and installed a shorter bolt. It was a lesson learned and never forgotten .Will never use those again!

Comment

Because I had to drill a size larger to get the remaining bolt bits out, I need to pull the engine Out of the frame and check if I accidentally drilled through anything important in there... don’t know why I thought it would be okay to drill deeper and deeper cause someone said “go up a bit size and go deeper/ repeat till bolt comes out” for some reason I followed that advice too literally instead of using common sense... But I need to disconnect the shaft drive. I’ve removed all 8 bolts down there underneath the rubber boot. How do I disconnect it?

Comment

You shouldn’t need to take the engine out of the frame to remove the head (unless you’re looking for more work). If you do take the head off, common wisdom says to go ahead and remove the barrels so you can replace the base gasket as well. Base gaskets are prone to leaking once the head has been removed (so I’ve read). Take the opportunity to rebuild cam chain tensioner. Replace all gaskets from the base up. Isn’t it great how one thing leads to another?
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Turns out I did drill a little bit too deep. Drilled a hole through the spark plug and the threads for the spark plug.

Comment

I’m guessing that that part of the engine is ruined because after looking at the other exhaust stud holes, they only go about an inch before you run into solid metal... I drilled through that and went straight to the spark plug. Someone mentioned hitting an oil passage if I drill too deep.
                              Last edited by BlackThunder; 04-07-2021, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X