Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850GN What will keep the wind out of my eyeballs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GN What will keep the wind out of my eyeballs??

Hello to the forum.I live inCornwall, UK and my 79 GS is nekkid like God intended. I am enjoying bugs in my teeth, who doesn't? But if i'm going to Scotland in the "summer" i'm going to need some sorta wind/midgie shield. I'm not looking for a windjammer dressing gown, more a skimpy bikini that'll look a bit military/baddass. What have you guys done to make your eye sockets from vibrating???? Show and tell time...

I wear a helmet with faceshield (plus earplugs).
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Nothing small will keep the wind out of your eyes.
      A S fairing makes the wind hit you in the chest

A better helmet, as above, is your best solution
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Always rode and still riding with a Jet Helmet plus a Faceshield&Earplugs, Summer and Winter.

Well, ok, come Summer sunglasses get added and the faceshield stays mostly up. Yep, no highway riding, place where I live is way too beautiful IMO :P

But I've been meaning to upgrade the helmet and maybe switch over to ski goggles (or similar style) for those situations that call for it.

Though, it's only a few times I've maxed out my engine for a few minutes on a late, late-morning commute, and then the instrument cluster provided me with just enough protection when hugging the tank.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Spoken like a true legend, sir!

Comment

Three words - full faced helmet. Not only keeps my head in one piece if something bad happens but it keeps the bugs out of my teeth. Besides, those things hurt at like the dickens at any speed
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              ...full faced helmet.
              With a full faced shield.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastychamp View Post
                Hello to the forum.I live inCornwall, UK and my 79 GS is nekkid like God intended. I am enjoying bugs in my teeth, who doesn't? But if i'm going to Scotland in the "summer" i'm going to need some sorta wind/midgie shield. I'm not looking for a windjammer dressing gown, more a skimpy bikini that'll look a bit military/baddass. What have you guys done to make your eye sockets from vibrating???? Show and tell time...
                apart from a helmet, The Answer is a taller windshield. See BigT's post. When you deflect air it has to go somewhere. The flow BigT mentions is actually stronger than without a fairing..can have eddies too that slap at you. A taller ((and not too narrow)windshield that you can just peak over will shoot the air and bugs overhead and behind.

The classic American Police Bike with its tall wide windshield and policeman (just) wearing sunglasses has a strong basis in fact and practicality.

Or, get some very low bars and tuck in behind a shorter one.
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-09-2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks matey. I will watch old episodes of CHiPs and swot up after an homage to BigT!

Comment

Working...
                  X