Need upholstery help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need upholstery help!

I have been trying to find a decent seat pan for my 1978 GS1000E without any luck. I have a pan that has a very minor bit of rust that I could use......but EVERY one of the little tabs that hold the seat cover are gone! (Cover that was on it was riveted on!)

My question is......anyone ever tried glueing a seat cover on a metal pan? I was thinking to possibly try some fast setting epoxy and a lot of clamps??? If anyone has done this I would love to hear how you did it, what adhesive you used and what the results were like.

It's either try this or use the superFuggily Guilarri seat that came on it, which also needs a new cover.

Of course, if anyone has a decent, usable seat pan they would sell...........

Thanks,
    Last edited by 1978GS750E; 03-09-2021, 08:06 PM.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Epoxy won't work.

What about this?
    Suzuki, GS850, GS1000,GS850G, GS1000E, GS1000ET, GS100C,GS1000S, GS1000G,1978,1979,1980,1981,seat, classic,saddle, dual, single, low, profile, tex, texavina, sport, motorcyle,seat, direct, project
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm dealing with a few broken triangular tabs too. I never trust glue long term, but hot glue gun does come in handy on the right material. I am thinking about 'creating' new tabs with a Dremel perhaps.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I've contacted them and they told me they could make a complete seat. They were to send me pictures and pricing but it's been 3 months and now I cannot get them to reply????
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
          I have been trying to find a decent seat pan for my 1978 GS1000E without any luck. I have a pan that has a very minor bit of rust that I could use......but EVERY one of the little tabs that hold the seat cover are gone! (Cover that was on it was riveted on!)

My question is......anyone ever tried glueing a seat cover on a metal pan? I was thinking to possibly try some fast setting epoxy and a lot of clamps??? If anyone has done this I would love to hear how you did it, what adhesive you used and what the results were like.

It's either try this or use the superFuggily Guilarri seat that came on it, which also needs a new cover.

Of course, if anyone has a decent, usable seat pan they would sell...........

Thanks,
          Only place I've ever seen it for sale - Motorcycle Spike Stripe ( two-thirds down to the bottom of the page)
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yes, look for
            "motorcycle seat tack strip "
            or "upholstery tack strip" ...I love epoxy but wouldn't consider it for a vinyl seat cover. ...and stretching a new cover on is not easy with all the right stuff in place, let alone clamps and glues!!! However...a haywire handyman MIGHT consider wooden strips glues and riveted and STAPLED INTO(use stainless staples)...but tack strips are the usual recommend:
            ADD: by the way, you want the tack strip spikes pointing "down" not sideways.
            upholstery tack strip.jpg

from UK:
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw= +motorcycle+seat++tack+strip+&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDes c=0&_odkw=%22NEW+ORIGINAL+SPIKE+STRIP%22Cafe+racer +seat+motorcycle+tack+strip+cb750+cb550+%2F500

Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-10-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys! I ordered a 90 degree bend, metal flexible tack strip off of Fleabay! I will probably pop rivet it to the seat bottom so it will have some support on the sides.

We will see how it works next week!
              Ron
              1982 GS1100E
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Working...
              X