New GS owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS owner

Greetings from New York everyone! Not a whole lot of motorcycle wrenching experience here, spend most of my spare time tinkering on old 60’s-70’s trucks and outdated small engines. My friends got me into riding motorcycles a few years ago, I started with a 2003 Suzuki Savage. I wanted to move up to something with a little more pep and of course I gravitated towards older bikes that need work.
    My buddy had a bike that fit the bill and gave me a 1982 GS650 G with 9k miles that he had started as a cafe racer project but abandoned it. It’s missing ALOT of parts so I set to hunting to try to return it to stock.
    shortly after this I happened to find a 1981 GS 650 G with 27k for really cheap, but it sat in a storage unit for years. The 81 is in such nice shape I decided that the 82 could become a spare parts bike.
    As of now the 81 has low compression and a dead cylinder. cyl 1-4 are 60, 100, 102, 0. Plan is to check the valve clearances and worst case scenario swap good running engine out of the 82.
    So glad I found this forum, look forward to using the info here well!

pics of it so far

Welcome, you’re gonna like it here. And congrats on figuring the most difficult part of the forum, posting multiple pics in a post that we can all see without clicking on them. Some people never figure that one out.

It’s recommended to create a signature with your bike info, then you’ll never have to remember to type it again when asking questions. Go to Settings at the top right of the page, then look on the left side to start creating your signature.

I have a couple of very useful links in my signature. Bookmark BikeCliff’s website, you’ll need it. The Top 10 link mentions most of the things that trouble people on these old bikes. And it’s a good read, with lots of helpful tidbits from a lot of very smart, regular contributors to the forum.

Tip on using this site’s search function: Always use advanced, and search by titles only to get any relevant results.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome to the site.
      Decent looking starting point and stock exhaust is an added bonus.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome.

Looks quite complete.
        And a parts bike with good engine. . . .

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Looks like the right bike, on the right road, head'in in the right direction. You can find about anything about GS's around here. Welcome & good luck.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome to the Forum. That looks like a fun project.

Comment

650!! I'd like to get my hands on one of those, but my other project bikes would prefer I get my hands on them. Regardless, welcome to the best place on the planet for help with a Suzuki GS.
              Bruno
              1981 Suzuki GS850G
              1981 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim

Comment

Hello, everyone!
                I feel like I am at a 12 step meeting! My wife thinks I am crazy. I was minding my own business,(on Ebay), and I saw the exact model bike I had in High school! My little voice told me to move on, but my finger bid on the bike, and here I am! The bike is a 1977 GS750, and it has been sitting in some old man's garage since 1984. The old man went into assisited living, and the bike was sold. It came the original title tattered from 1976. That was the story, but some hocus pocus was done by the middleman. I think he scored the original wire spoke wheels. It has some 80's features. The suzuki emblem was removed from the instrument panel, and replaced with an electric cigarette lighter! I plan to return it to it's 1977 glory. ( Red paint, pinstripes, and wire wheels.) I will try to upload the picture from the auction ad. It's the only picture I have, so far. StevenGS750B.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 1steven View Post
                  Hello, everyone!
                  I feel like I am at a 12 step meeting! My wife thinks I am crazy. I was minding my own business,(on Ebay), and I saw the exact model bike I had in High school! My little voice told me to move on, but my finger bid on the bike, and here I am! The bike is a 1977 GS750, and it has been sitting in some old man's garage since 1984. The old man went into assisited living, and the bike was sold. It came the original title tattered from 1976. That was the story, but some hocus pocus was done by the middleman. I think he scored the original wire spoke wheels. It has some 80's features. The suzuki emblem was removed from the instrument panel, and replaced with an electric cigarette lighter! I plan to return it to it's 1977 glory. ( Red paint, pinstripes, and wire wheels.) I will try to upload the picture from the auction ad. It's the only picture I have, so far. Steven[ATTACH=CONFIG]62572[/ATTACH]

Hello Steven, I am Dave Redman, I havent had a GS ride in almost a year. Welcome to THeGSR.
                  You would do well to start your own thread for your intoduction.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Beautiful bike!

Comment

Whoops! I posted on someone else's thread! Not a techy for sure. :-(

Comment

Working...
                      X