Rebuild 1979 gs 850 petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
    I've never had luck greasing petcocks and I've tried several types of grease MAINLY because the gasoline fumes attack them I think...and between any two sliding surfaces the fumes can't go, neither can the grease -it gets squeezed out. I even think Some greases will swell the viton-or-nitrile rubber or the nylon "selector" inside and make it worse but that's just a feeling.But yours may "wear in" and be ok.
    Yes I was wondering how long the grease would last.I will leave well enough alone. Just a little stiff to turn the selector lever right now.
    Jonesz

1979 GS850 current project
    1978 GL1000-naked
    1983 GL1100-Aspencade stripped
    1999 Valkyrie Tourer-long ride bike

Comment

Well it looks like my "fixed" oem petcock is now screwed up again. When I disconnected the fuel line the fuel pours out of the tank so the vacuum shutoff no longer works. I see where somebody had recommended https://www.georgefixs.com/new-suzuk...s1150-petcock/ He lists one made in Japan for about half the price of an oem fuel cock. I have sent him 2 messages but no reply. Anyone here that has dealt with him recently?
      Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesz View Post
        Well it looks like my "fixed" oem petcock is now screwed up again. When I disconnected the fuel line the fuel pours out of the tank so the vacuum shutoff no longer works. I see where somebody had recommended https://www.georgefixs.com/new-suzuk...s1150-petcock/ He lists one made in Japan for about half the price of an oem fuel cock. I have sent him 2 messages but no reply. Anyone here that has dealt with him recently?
        Place strong spring to shut the diaphram in closed position with vacuum blanked off and use "prime' as 'on' and 'ON' as off
        1978GS1000E
        GSX600R K1

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Place strong spring to shut the diaphram in closed position with vacuum blanked off and use "prime' as 'on' and 'ON' as off
          Yes I can see where that would be a fix of sorts but then I have no "reserve" function and having 4 bikes my addled old noggin doesn't need anymore confusion. I find it confusing enough just using the standard setup with no OFF other than lack of vacuum! I
          Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

There's a cheapie on ebay that seems to work. $27.99 I even bought one! and it seems good so far. The lever is longer and easier to turn too. You'l want to double check the outlet is on the right side ..but the vacuum inlet can be rotated by undoing at the back if need be. But I found it fit fine on my 81GSX400T
            amazon.ca
            https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GSXY9PD/..._rv_eml_rv0_dp
            ebay cheap petcock.jpg
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-02-2022, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link Gorminrider will check it out
              Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

Working...
              X