New project 1982 Suzuki Gs450GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project 1982 Suzuki Gs450GA

Hello everyone, my name is Jared and this is my first ever motorcycle, a 1982 Suzuki gs450ga suzukimatic,
    I recently purchased this bike and have absolutely no experience at all on bikes, I have some experience with working on cars though.

My goals are to get it running again, I bought a new battery waiting for it in the mail.
    I have to clean out the carbs, looking for a rebuild kit online if anyone has any idea where I can find one I would appreciate it!
    Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!
    I look forward to this project and meeting new people along the way!

Thanks a lot!
    -Jared
    Attached Files
    1982 Suzuki GS450A: In Process

Welcome. An automatic, neat. Haven’t seen too many of those on here.

Some very useful links for you in my signature. Start with the top 10. And heed the warning therein to stay away from carb rebuild “kits”.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 03-13-2021, 03:20 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome to the site, Jared.
      Good plan of attack. Maintenance first, cosmetics second.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The 450 is a pretty basic and straight forward bike to work on, if you already have some wrenching experience you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it going. Rich mentioned the links in his signature and they're a great source of information. Use them! Those carbs really only need a set of o-rings and a good cleaning to get them back to good-as-new condition, check out the carb rebuild tutorial (supplied in that first link) for a rundown on what to do and where to get the o-rings.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks everyone for the support! I’ll be digging into this project hopefully tomorrow and will post updates !

Comment

I recommend disconnecting the air filter box and sliding it back into the frame as far as you can to help remove those carbs.I know that the carb. rubber intake manifolds(Suzuki pt.#13110-44100) are No longer available so be careful,you don't want to tear them when you slide the carbs out.

Comment

This may be a noob question but do all 450 models have the same carbs? Im looking for O Rings and want to make sure I get all the right ones.

Comment

Originally posted by DerveyZ View Post
                This may be a noob question but do all 450 models have the same carbs? Im looking for O Rings and want to make sure I get all the right ones.

Your 1982-85' GS450GA and the 1983-87' GS450L & the 1983' GS450E & T all have a later version of the Mikuni BS34SS carbs. than the early models.The O-rings may be the same but not everything else will swap into your later ones from the Early models of GS450 Mikuni BS34SS carbs.
                I think checking the online parts providers(partzilla.com,etc.)and comparing part numbers will help.I think the OEM original Suzuki O-rings work the best and last the longest.
                Last edited by grcamna2; 03-13-2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much!

Comment

Jared,if you happen to see a set of the later carbs(or rubber intake manifolds) kicking around somewhere and they don't mind selling them for parts,please let me know. thanks,Bill

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                      I think the OEM original Suzuki O-rings work the best and last the longest.
                      The o-ring sets sold by cycleorings.com have a good reputation here and to tell you the truth I'd rather use a set of fresh ones from him before taking a gamble on something that's been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 40 years.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Agree completely with Lab3.
                        I would order carb and manifold o-rings from http://www.cycleorings.com/
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Giving you a wave from the Dayton area and offering a third recommendation on using cycleorings.com; the owner is a member here though a bit quiet recently
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                            Agree completely with Lab3.
                            I would order carb and manifold o-rings from http://www.cycleorings.com/

This is the 1st time hearing about these kits. WOW,all the o-rings;it looks like an excellent kit.

Comment

Robert Barr stopped carrying the 450 O-ring kits.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X