First time on the dragstrip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time on the dragstrip!

I took my first passes last night at Portland International Raceway on the GS drag bike. Good stuff!

Biggest problem was that I couldn't get the air shifter to work. It's probably something simple, am going to do some troubleshooting and/or bench testing this week. So I had to swing my foot up ~2' from the rearset to the shifter every time I wanted to shift.

Made good progress jetting the new "cone" carbs. Started off with 150 mains, bike ran so-so. Tried 160s, it ran worse, then 145s, and it ran much better. I'm guessing mains in the ~140 range will do the trick. Ordering them tonight.

Had a good crew come out to help with setup, tuning, etc. Looking forward to the next time out!

timeslips_small.jpg

Brass hunt ... Mikuni cone carbs had Keihin hex mains when I got them. Most of my mains are Mikunis, I need to get a new jet box for Keihins!

brass_small.jpg

Comment

Replacing the main jet drain plugs on the carbs by touch. That's pure concentration!

fiddling_small.jpg

Comment

Way to go, Patrino.
        Great having a couple friends at the track to bounce ideas or offer encouragement.

Changing jets blind is indeed "fiddling".
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nice. Glad it went relatively well.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Also, found the timeslips ... best one was 11.695 @ 120.48 mph.

Plenty of room for improvement!

Comment

Originally posted by patrino View Post
              Also, found the timeslips ... best one was 11.695 @ 120.48 mph.

Plenty of room for improvement!
              Cool...

Reaction time? 60ft time? 1/8 mile time? Or perhaps just a scan of the timeslip?
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Best run:

R/T: 0.739
                60': 2.002
                1/8: 7.672 @ 96.17
                1/4: 11.695 @ 120.48

second best:

R/T: 0.222
                60': 2.208
                1/8: 7.725 @ 97.97
                1/4: 11.76 @119.31

Comment

I'm confused, but it's been a long time since I's on a drag strip. Your best run was when you left, right at, 3/4 sec. late? Dang, You'd have been down in the 10's if you left on time.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

@rphillips, like I said, room for improvement!

And on the bike side, the better jets are on order, and I'm diving into the air shifter this week.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      I'm confused, but it's been a long time since I's on a drag strip. Your best run was when you left, right at, 3/4 sec. late? Dang, You'd have been down in the 10's if you left on time.
                      Reaction time has nothing to do with ET. He could have sat there for 10 seconds, and still run under 12.
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Like I said it's been a long time. I thought the ET was from the time the green came on till the finish came on. It must be from the time the green goes off till the finish comes on. Not a biggie, Ya'll all know this ain't the first time I's wrong
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Reaction time is independent of the elapsed time clocks. As Baatfam says, the ET does not start until you move out of the staging beams , starting the ET clocks .
                          1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Good info everyone, I had not understood that ET timing starts on physically leaving the line, not the green light.

Heading to the shop tonight with my to-do list from Friday night:
                            * bench-test air shifter / identify cause of problem
                            * find spare shift shaft
                            * extend pegs
                            * change low-speed rpm pill
                            * test operation of high/low ignition switch, on clutch
                            * install 140 mains
                            * bush shift shaft hole, in sprocket cover?
                            * find extension cord splitter
                            * inspect plugs
                            * change oil
                            * install carb float bowl drain lines (to make rejetting easier and less messy)
                            * move Keihin jets into their own box

Comment

OK! Air shifter is nearly working now. I'm not 100% certain, but it looks like the problem is either with the pushbutton switch on the handlebar, or the wiring between the button and the solenoid for the shifter. I cut the solenoid activation wires back by the sidecover, then connected one to positive, the other to ground - the cylinder fired just like it should.

Disassembling the switch for inspection I noted one of the three leads had separated from the switch housing. I'm not sure if that's the cause of the problem, but will dig a bit deeper later this week. Rather than try to fix that particular switch I'll probably just grab a universal pushbutton kill switch out of my spares boxes and wire it up. I'm sure I can find a replacement microswitch for the Pingel button assembly, but that'll take some sleuthing.

Regardless, we're one step closer!

Comment

Working...
                              X