No announcement yet.

First time on the dragstrip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bunch of passes under 10.20 is fantastic!
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

@Rob S. the bike started life as an 1150, but has a 1229 kit in it. The best time was at 132 mph. What still blows my mind is that my top speeds have been pretty consistent, even as the elapsed time drops (My best ETs of 10.755, 10.392, and 10.150 were all at 131-132 mph.) Intuitively if you're getting 'up to speed' more quickly (especially as the 60' times drop) you'd think you'd also get up to a higher top speed ... at least that's how my intuition goes.

I'll get some more photos. Yes, the wheelie bars are removable: two 3/8" nuts at the bottom, two 3/8" screws at the top. Bike could be put back on the street, but would be very 'purposeful', with the total loss ignition, square tire, etc. Let's say that I'm not planning on riding it on the street! Per my earlier post, getting the wheelie bars 'tuned' is a big to-do. A friend is willing to loan me his GoPro. I figured I'd put it on the facing rearward, to get an idea of what the rear tire and the bars are doing.

Thinking back on my many years road racing, if I did it over again (or if I pick it back up again), I would have run a video camera during practice ... not to post social media videos but as a training tool. I don't know about other folks but I can only take in so much information while I'm riding. Being able to truly 'replay' what happened, after the fact, would be helpful. Any suggestions on this front are appreciated.

I pulled the plugs today and they look pretty good, so I might just hold on the jetting.

Next step on the mechanical front (besides wheelie bar tuning) is a lockup clutch. I'm talking with @rapidray and he's getting me set up with a two-stage setup. After that I'll probably start heading to the bracket races on Wednesday nights (though I'll probably still do Friday/Saturday 1/4-miles, because they're fun!)

I rode my Husky up to the bracket races last Wednesday night at PIR, to check it out. There were a half-dozen bikes there, from a stretched Hayabusa with nitrous, to a couple well-loved (and well-worn) SOHC Honda 750s.

@bobroger, I hear you about launching a stock wheelbase bike without bars. I'm still getting comfortable launching a stretched bike with bars! What's your local track, SIR? (I see Enumclaw next to your name on the forum.)

Comment

A slider clutch, with a 1-2-3 auto cut trans would help a ton.....

But it won't be street ridable anymore, and you need a tow scooter.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Finally got my hands on some photos from my friend Seth, here's one:

IMG_4655.jpg

Comment

Getting ready to go out:

PXL_20210424_015557709.jpg

Comment

Just got a shipment from @rapidray - thank you! Lockup clutch parts!

On the hunt now for some tired clutch springs, for initial setup. I think I have a couple handfuls in my spares boxes. Bringing the bathroom scale to the shop, to use with our press ...

Comment

Any luck yet?
                Ray.

Comment

I got the lockup clutch installed last week, and finally broke into the nines this Friday!

Initial passes were with ~190# of spring pressure. The first pass the bike hooked up real quick - I figured that “I’ve got it!”. The second and third passes, though, the engine bogged pretty good off the line. I suppose the clutch was hotter those additional passes.

Pulled back to the pits, replaced the six ~32# springs with three ~50# springs. (The 32s were the lightest I had, so the only way I could think to drop the spring pressure was to run the clutch with fewer springs.). That gave #150 spring pressure.

The bike then began launching real well; no bogging, but I don't think too much slip either. 60' foot times were down in the 1.4s; without the lockup the best I could get consistently was 1.7 or so.

I did around four or five passes at 10.0xx; the nines were so close! Finally the starter recommended I line up in the 'groove' at the start (seems obvious now, but ...). Then I broke into the nines, with a 9.941! Very excited!!

Big thanks to @rapidray for the initial setup recommendations on the lockup.

Comment

I wound up buying a 0-100# spring scale from Comp Cams, to measure the springs I had. Luckily they were all pretty close to as-advertised.

IMG_0380.jpg
                    Last edited by patrino; 07-05-2021, 02:50 PM. Reason: spelling typo

Comment

Off the line; photo from my friend Ned T.

DSC_0157_original.jpg

Comment

A 1.4 60' is very respectable.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

9.anything is very respectable! That's an old liquid cooled 750 your running, correct? Well done!
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Congrats on getting into the 9s!
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              9.anything is very respectable! That's an old liquid cooled 750 your running, correct? Well done!
                              His bike is a gs1150 air cooled motor.
                              My stable
                              84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                              85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                              88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                              98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                              90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                              00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Great job on the improvements and getting into the 9.’s.
                                My stable
                                84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                                85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                                88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                                98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                                90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                                06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                                00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Working...
                                X