Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disposal of gas/oil mix

Not sure this is the right place, but it's the closest fit I could find:

So. Several weeks ago I finished changing the steering bearings on my 1000G for the second time. (Only about 30,000 miles. They are definitely lubed this time). I put it all back together, but couldn't get out for a ride. A couple days later, I smell gas in the garage, and there's a puddle under the bike. Great. The top case is covered too. The tank is nearly empty with only about 30 miles showing on the odometer, so I figure there's most of a tank full in the crankcase.

I know the cause and the cure for this, but what to do with the contaminated oil? AutoZone won't take it, right? Maybe I should just go buy a chainsaw or a Chinese 2-stroke dirt bike to use it in.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Orilleys never asks me questions. And i know up north many shops have multi fuel heaters. I would ask around and some shop owner may gladly take it from you
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Or, just pour it in your car/truck tank and fill up the car/truck tank
      3 qts of oil in 20 gallons of gas won't hurt anything
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

AutoZone sometimes asks me if it's just oil. Maybe I had a guilty look on my face when I knew there was a bunch of brake fluid in there.

I had thought about feeding it back to the bike, maybe gallon at a time. I'd rather run it through the bike's simple system than the more complex stuff in the Prius and CX-5, just to play it safe.

I think my gas can (usually empty) is a 5 gallon job, so it can probably hold everything. My oil drain pan won't though. Maybe I should use the Mighty-Vac to get a siphon started through the oil filler. That feels like a plan.
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

i think in smallish doses the car will actually eat it better than the bike, more gas in the tank to dilute it. That's just, like, my opinion, man.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Here in Albuquerque we have a drop off location for hazardus houshold waste. I've taken pesticides, herbicides, antifreze and all sorts of automotive fluids to them. Unless it's radioactive, explosive or biomedical they'll take it.

Isn't there anything like that around there?
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Go to oriellys and give a fake name and adress lol
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Dale, the transfer station up here in Dayton doesn't ask questions when it comes to dumping the oil if I go there instead of OReilly's. May check out your local trash transfer location and see what they have for hazardous waste
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Normally I burn my leftover premix (and ethanol that's getting a bit too old) in the car, a 2018 Mazda in this case, but these are very small ratios. I'm adding a quart or two of 50:1 to a 12-gallon tank, which works out to roughly 1.25 ounces of oil to 12 gallons of fuel, which is about a 1200:1 mixture -- not significant.

With that much to dispose of, and a much higher oil:fuel ratio, I'd be too concerned about screwing up the cat. I'm starting out with a good-running car, and I'd like to keep it that way! Work your ratios and let's see: 5 gallons of fuel, initially, mixed with 4.5 quarts of oil is 640:144 ounces, or 4.5:1 (fuel to oil). That's a pretty stout mixture! In order to dilute that down to a few ounces of oil per tank of gas, it'd take 50 to 60 tanks of fuel. That might be overly cautious, but you get the idea.

With an older non-cat vehicle, who cares? It smokes. So did I for 30 years. But I'd sure hate to have to pay for a new catalytic converter just to dispose of oil-soaked fuel!
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I was under the impression that some gas mixed in wasn't a problem at Auto zone.
                    I've never dropped a mixture there, but they are very lax at ours. No signing of papers, etc.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                      Normally I burn my leftover premix (and ethanol that's getting a bit too old) in the car, a 2018 Mazda in this case, but these are very small ratios. I'm adding a quart or two of 50:1 to a 12-gallon tank, which works out to roughly 1.25 ounces of oil to 12 gallons of fuel, which is about a 1200:1 mixture -- not significant.

With that much to dispose of, and a much higher oil:fuel ratio, I'd be too concerned about screwing up the cat. I'm starting out with a good-running car, and I'd like to keep it that way! Work your ratios and let's see: 5 gallons of fuel, initially, mixed with 4.5 quarts of oil is 640:144 ounces, or 4.5:1 (fuel to oil). That's a pretty stout mixture! In order to dilute that down to a few ounces of oil per tank of gas, it'd take 50 to 60 tanks of fuel. That might be overly cautious, but you get the idea.

With an older non-cat vehicle, who cares? It smokes. So did I for 30 years. But I'd sure hate to have to pay for a new catalytic converter just to dispose of oil-soaked fuel!
                      This kind of thinking parallels my misgivings about putting it through the cars.

I don't know if we have a regular transfer station available to the public here in Mason, but Rumpke will probably have some advice if I give up on trying to run the bike on it. I do kind of like the idea of keeping the mosquitos at bay all summer, but I don't think my conscience can handle that much dirty burn if it isn't necessary.
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Yeah, don't put it into a car.

The "tox drop" in Indy will take old/contaminated gas and oil, and I've used this a few times when dealing with the manky contents of old tanks. Basically, there's a rotating list of locations around the county where residents can drop off "hazardous household waste" on certain days several times a month. I drop off old motor oil a few times a year, paint, electronics, antifreeze, etc. and so on.

That said, I don't know whether your county or city has this. But even normal used motor oil contains some gasoline from blow-by, so it's not a show-stopper if you just recycle it with your regular used motor oil.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

We have similar here to Bwringer's...They used to accept oil at all sorts of places but so many people abused it

...Many years ago I talked to the guy who was emptying the "Recycle Your Oil!" tank at a gas station and he said that the problem was people weren't just putting oil in it...gas,oil, weird slurries...oil itself is easy to recycle but weird mixes the "mouth breathers" dumped in were a big problem. Also, the nasty containers that showed up in the night.

So, they are now more careful. And supervising.... I do believe old gas, weird mixes- get burned as fuel in industrial locations that are set up for it. For instance, I think there's a pulp mill here that burns it...?

Comment

I thought people in Ohio just tossed everything in the Cuyahoga?

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                              I thought people in Ohio just tossed everything in the Cuyahoga?
                              Yes, yes we did. But then someone threw a match into it and it caught on fire. That ended that! 🤨
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X