Top-end reseal on an '80 GS850 question/concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top-end reseal on an '80 GS850 question/concern

Hey all. First off, those looking for a tip on base gasket removal.... try aircraft stripper. Gasket remover didn't do much but aircraft stripper made it bubble and curl up. Then followed up with a Fine grit rolac disc and clean as a whistle. For my question..... Pressure washing obviously wasn't enough to remove all of the crud and road grime built up around the base gasket front of engine because once the engine was separated a bit of dirt/sand/sh** fell in. I really don't want to split the case. I vacuumed up all of the debris that was obvious but I'm assuming more got in. Should I worry to much about this? I'm hoping with the next couple oil changes it will work its way out and that the oil screen and oil filter will protect everything else... Maybe pour a couple gallons of diesel or gasoline through the piston area and out the oil drain hole? Thoughts from the GS masters?
    I also obtained some gasgacinch. Do most put it on one side of the head and base gasket or a super thin coat on both sides?
    Thanks for the wisdom and glad to be here!
    Derek
    '79 GS850
    '78 GS750
    '69 CL175
    '76 TL250
    '92 KLR250
    '07 ZX10R
    '01 Vstar 650

Same happened with mine - a small amount of crud fell into the case. As I was taking the sump off anyway, I let loose with a few pints of kerosene and just let it flush the muck out into a basin.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one. What about Gasgacinch? Double side the gasket or just one side to act as a tack?
      '79 GS850
      '78 GS750
      '69 CL175
      '76 TL250
      '92 KLR250
      '07 ZX10R
      '01 Vstar 650

Comment

Drop the sump to clean out the debris.
        As for gaskets.
        Coat the paper base gasket both sides with grease to aid settlement and ease of future removal/re-use.
        DON'T use and sealer on the new head gasket unless it is a copper one ( which it won't be )
        Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
        VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X