Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 1100e Coil options ? I have Dynatec but want other style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100e Coil options ? I have Dynatec but want other style.

I have an 82 1100e and I have the green dyna coils with new plug caps and wires. I don't like them because they will not mount inside the frame like the stock ones did. In order to pull the valve cover you have to remove the coils and I hate that.

Is there another brand of coils that are as good as Dynatec that will bolt in to the same location as the oem coils?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Why not just get a used oem set and sell your greenie setup?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Why not just get a used oem set and sell your greenie setup?
      I may just do that. I was told that the Dynatec's were better than OEM, so I was just curious if there was an equivalent to Dynatec but fits on the bike properly.
      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
      80 gs1000s

Comment

That's weird... on the 1000E and G they mount in exactly the same place. Accel is another option...
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          That's weird... on the 1000E and G they mount in exactly the same place. Accel is another option...
          That is interesting because my gs1100e frame is almost identical to my old gs1000 frame. I will take a picture later, but my green coils will not bolt on top of the tabs like them ones do, only on the under side. I will check out Accel if they make them to fit the OEM spot.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

I would say that the Accel are very similar in size to Dyna & both are very close in size to stock.... From memory I may have had to change the order of spacers with the Dyna but that's it.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              I would say that the Accel are very similar in size to Dyna & both are very close in size to stock.... From memory I may have had to change the order of spacers with the Dyna but that's it.

This was the only way mine would fit and I have a friend who also has them on his 82 1100e and his only fir this way also.
              coils.jpg
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

You could use dyna mini coils, been running it for 13yrs no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Williams View Post
                  You could use dyna mini coils, been running it for 13yrs no problem.
                  Do they fit in the same bolt holes and up inside the frame pocket?
                  82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                  80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                    Do they fit in the same bolt holes and up inside the frame pocket?
                    They should; the mounts are slotted, and they're pretty small.

That said, I haven't seen or done this exact coil on that exact bike, so YMMV and I guarantee nothing... I'm sure someone will come along eventually who has.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thank you. Hopefully someone will know... or maybe I will get lucky and someone will want to trade me for these big green ones.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      They should; the mounts are slotted, and they're pretty small.

That said, I haven't seen or done this exact coil on that exact bike, so YMMV and I guarantee nothing... I'm sure someone will come along eventually who has.
                      82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                      80 gs1000s

Comment

Mine has the Accel, ugly yellow with ugly yellow wires. I think fit just like OEM, I never really paid much attention as never any problem with removing valve cover or anything. I've always thought I'd rather have the OEM's as they just seemed to work fine forever. These (ugly Yellow) things shock the shirt out of me every time I touch a plug wire, the old OEM's never did.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I guess the main thing about the old ones is that they are not "made" to easily change out old cracked wires. But now that I have said that --- I realize they probably last 20+ years easily before they need replacing anyway. If they still make OEM versions new stock then that may be what I need to find.
                          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                          80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
                            I guess the main thing about the old ones is that they are not "made" to easily change out old cracked wires. But now that I have said that --- I realize they probably last 20+ years easily before they need replacing anyway. If they still make OEM versions new stock then that may be what I need to find.
                            Lots of old GS Suzukis are running around with coils from a newer Bandit.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Yeah, I mean when I had to replace mine, freshly made OEM, or OEM-style aftermarket were available. That was like 3-4 years ago, I would assume this is still the case.
                              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                              X