X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha FJ1200 1987 mirror rattle

Hi all,

It as been a while.

Working on the fleet right now. The snow in front of the garage door as retreated enough that I can consider getting the bikes out. Yeah.

I currently have a FJ1200 that came with non stock mirrors. Horrible things. Dangerous.

So I found 2 stock mirror. They are early 90s but I don't care.

So I have a few questions for the gurus.

The left mirror has something loose inside.

My guess is that there is a mass inside to reduce vibrations and the mass is now loose.
    Adhesive failure after a mere 30 years. Unheard of. Uncivilized even.

You can see a "Smudge" (On my shirt and on my thumb) on the mirror (12 o'clock on the glass) where the silvering as been worn by rubbing.
    I suspect the last guy to ride with that mirror never knew. Perhaps the mirror was blurry. I don't know.

So I plan to drill underneath the mirror in a good place and inject epoxy.

What do you guys (And gals) think?

Should I use silicone? Foam?, Construction adhesive, try to fixate the culprit with a screw though it's heart?

I have no experience with what is inside that thing.

I don't know what to expect, metal, plastic, concrete, hockey puck or dead squirrel.

All suggestions will be considered.

Thanks for reading this.
    Last edited by Highway_Glider; 03-16-2021, 07:06 PM.
    Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
    1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

My XJ mirrors are exactly the same - something inside has lost its stick and is rattling around. I'm fairly sure attempting to remove the glass wil break them, so I'm going to drill a hole and inject some expanding foam. Just enough to do the job.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      My XJ mirrors are exactly the same - something inside has lost its stick and is rattling around. I'm fairly sure attempting to remove the glass wil break them, so I'm going to drill a hole and inject some expanding foam. Just enough to do the job.
      Hi Grimly.

Yes, I also though of expanding foam to push and hold the weight at the back of the shell.
      My only concern is the spring inside. The one that give friction to the ball joint.
      I keep thinking it might be too dense and stop any motion and whatever position the mirror has will be it.

I was hoping someone who has done this before would chime in.

As far as removing the glass that will end bad. I have this theory that when they are made the glass is cooled to -1,000,000°k before insertion.

Good luck with the mend.

Myself I will probably get to it by the weekend.

PS

Any thought on a plug for the aforementioned hole?
      I envision something that will plug nicely and not quite airtight to allow water that might get in to get back out.
      Last edited by Highway_Glider; 03-17-2021, 09:09 AM.
      Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
      1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

I'll drill the hole in the bottom and plug it with a blind grommet.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Hi.

I got around to doing the deed on the weekend.

I used low expansion foam.

Drilled a hole the same size as the hose. Holding the mirror to keep the weight in its position.
          After one squirt on the far side the rattle was gone. For good measure I gave 2 more squirts in different locations.

To cover the hole I used some gasket maker goo I already had from the tool chest. Its black and gooey. Good enough.
          It of course looked like a Hershey Kiss. But a soapy watered index finger fixed that.

The mirror is hard to set. The foam did interfere with the compression spring.
          When moved the mirror resist movements and makes a "Ripping-foam" noise. But does move with coaxing.

Next to install it and see if I t can be used.

Right now I would recommend to someone wanting to do this to place the mirror on the bike adjust it then do the deed.

Where the silvering was worn and looked black now shows the foam.

All in all. An easy job.
          Last edited by Highway_Glider; 03-24-2021, 09:05 AM.
          Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
          1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Working...
          X