Trying to change look on 1982 Suzuki Gs450ga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to change look on 1982 Suzuki Gs450ga

Hello everyone, I am new to the whole motorcycle projects, and I was wondering if I could turn my gs450ga style into the basket case Suzuki 450 style. Is it an easy task? Below is an attached image of what I would like the bike to look like. Would I have to change the frame?
    Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Attached Files
    1982 Suzuki GS450A: In Process

Can You Weld? Can you drill and tap holes? Do you have the parts?
    I have two styles T and E in a very similar Suzuki (GSX400). The T is very similar to your GA..though exactly, I don't know but I bet it is very near.

These are the preliminary Must Know notes. I haven't done a "conversion" (wouldn't bother) so I can't guarantee that's all there is to do but:

That's an "E" you picture. Your frame is basically the same but they welded some different tangs on each...me having the two styles, I'll guess your coil mount is different and won't fit the narrower tunnel of the E tank; the rubber ended stems that hold your tank stick out too far for the "E" tank; the E tank needs ONE bolt at the rear; the side covers of the "E" sit on welded "L" tabs at the top while your GA covers have all "tongues-into-rubber grommets" holding the sidecovers?... The frame of the E has provision to bolt on a steel framework to mount the E tail piece.

...Pretty much the same otherwise, though your gauges won't be "correct". The E has a kind of housing and slightly smaller dials in it but that doesn't matter...The shocks of your GA...11.5"? 12"? dunno but 13" on the E. Not that that really matters either. They fit across both models.
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-19-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Tell you how I would approach it. Get it up and running and ride it awhile getting to know every aspect of the bike inside and out. Once you've mastered how the bike works then you can start hacking it up. This isn't to say simple things like paint, different bars or a seat swap can't be done, just don't do anything you can't undo.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah I decided I want to focus on getting it running first then go from there. I’m picking up that bike in the picture on Tuesday, May swap some parts from it.

Comment

Originally posted by DerveyZ View Post
          Thanks guys! Yeah I decided I want to focus on getting it running first then go from there. I’m picking up that bike in the picture on Tuesday, May swap some parts from it.
          That was my original plan too, but the "parts bike"was too good so I have it running too. Strongly advise you do the same if it's low-mileage and in decent shape...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            That was my original plan too, but the "parts bike"was too good so I have it running too. Strongly advise you do the same if it's low-mileage and in decent shape...
            unfortunately the bike I’m buying doesn’t have a title, feels kind of sketchy but it’s only 100$ so I feel like I have to make a move on it. What do you think? Should I trust ? Could I be in any potential trouble for buying this bike with no title? I asked him for a bill of sale Incase anything happens but he said since he bought it without a title he won’t do bill of sale.

Comment

Hard pass. Anyone that won't give you a bill of sale linking their name to the transaction is questionable.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

unfortunately the bike I’m buying doesn’t have a title, feels kind of sketchy but it’s only 100$ so I feel like I have to make a move on it. What do you think? Should I trust ? Could I be in any potential trouble for buying this bike with no title? I asked him for a bill of sale Incase anything happens but he said since he bought it without a title he won’t do bill of sale.
                Having made a trade for a bike in Ohio last summer they make it a royal PITA to register it without a title, it takes a bill of sale and a notary to stamp the title transaction. You're not going to get the paperwork to put it on the road without a long drawn out process even if you have a bill of sale. $100 is a too good to be true deal so I guess it's up to your conscious if you want to live with the idea this could very well be someone else's former pride and joy.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

You do realize that after dealing with any title issues, that your GA really is nothing like the E that is pictured?

Exactly what part of the "look" are you wanting to change?
                  - The tanks are different, not sure about mounting points.
                  - The engine is different. Well, the pistons and head are basically the same, but the crankcase is different, along with the transmission.
                  - The final drive is different. Can not be converted.
                  - The frame is different. Can not be converted.

By the way, the bike in the picture is not a basket case.
                  A "basket case" is a bike that arrives in a bunch of baskets and needs to be assembled.
                  Therefore, if you want your bike to look like a basket case, just break out the wrenches and start disassembling.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

$100, no title, and not willing to give you a signed bill of sale? Man, that seriously sounds to me like the bike is stolen. Run away far and fast
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It hurts to leave a "deal" but sounds shady. I've bought and re-registered a bike with LOST papers but I knew the provenance and checked it out per theft ahead of time...and I got a receipt with seller's address, Drivers licence and their receipt from who they got it from... No provenance, no deal.

Otherwise you become a "chop shop" and will have to get more tatoos, too.

Comment

I've been through so many bikes in the last year it's nuts. Out of the last ten I've had 3 no titles. I knew I wasn't going to rehab them and just part em so wasn't concerned. The ones I did rehab were all titled. Most of the no title bikes that are around are lost and the bike gets shuffled through various owners by a BOS. Notice that the person selling it sez "will write bill of sale"? Means nothing to Washington DOL unless that person was on the lost title. 3 year registration only? What a joke.Want to sit on it 3 years and hope the owner with title doesn't show up to claim it? Ask me how I know. I've been doing a few no titles lately but only to part. Buy one with a clean title if you plan to put time or money in.

Comment

Yeah after thinking about it I decided not to purchase the bike, definitely sounds fishy. Also just going to try my best to make my bike the way it’s supposed to be. Definitely learning a thing or two. Thank you everyone!

Comment

A 450 that looks like a T with a shaft drive? That seems pretty neat and a bit of a rarity too..AND it's not an L with the big step on the seat. I don't know why you'd change it in the first place.
                            Suzuki GS 450A 82.jpghttps://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/suzu/suzuki_gs450a%2081.htm

Comment

$100 is cheap. Get the VIN and call the police asking if it is stolen. Then understand that it is virtually impossible to get a title for a bike like that. You could look up the VIN and find the person the title is registered to. Ask them if they would help you get it out of their name and into yours. Mention their liability's as long as it is in their name to grease the wheels. I have done this before a few times, but the outcome is a little unpredictable.
                              1981 GS1100E
                              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                              X