450L years and engine/frame compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450L years and engine/frame compatibility

Hi everyone. Super glad to see the forum is still going, its been a few years but I used alot of the info in here to fix an old bike up my girls dad gave me. So basically got hit by some drunk chick and my frame is cracked by the neck and its been sitting neglected outside. some rust by the crack now. But Ive been itching lately to get it back up and riding. I found a few frames online but my bike is an 81 and for some reason it seems 85 450L frame is easier found. Would this be of possible use to me? I personally would prefer to have my old frame repaired but not sure of the integrity/if Id be able to trust. So anyways does anyone have knowledge if 81 450L frame is interchangeable with other year or makes? Thanks!

Originally posted by 81450L View Post
    Hi everyone. Super glad to see the forum is still going, its been a few years but I used alot of the info in here to fix an old bike up my girls dad gave me. So basically got hit by some drunk chick and my frame is cracked by the neck and its been sitting neglected outside. some rust by the crack now. But Ive been itching lately to get it back up and riding. I found a few frames online but my bike is an 81 and for some reason it seems 85 450L frame is easier found. Would this be of possible use to me? I personally would prefer to have my old frame repaired but not sure of the integrity/if Id be able to trust. So anyways does anyone have knowledge if 81 450L frame is interchangeable with other year or makes? Thanks!
    My impression is all 450's are the same on the outside and you can even put in a more modern 500 in there with just a swap of the heads so the exhaust ports won't hit the frame downtubes.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Oh sweet thats so good to hear! That 500 swap sounds like a cool option. and if you dont mind to pick your brain about this. i ordered that 85 frame and it seems I may have to modify to use my 81 tank and seat to use on the frame but then I talked to this shop and the guy sounded really confident he could restore any bends and cracks in my existing bike. So Im not too familiar with process from then on as far as which would be easier to register, a totaled bike with me as last owner or a used frame with mismatching vin numbers..anyways thanks alot for the reply! much appreciated

Comment

Working...
      X