Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 850G getting a little TLC

Burque73 is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Default 850G getting a little TLC

Looks like I'm finally going to take care of those nagging oil leaks and a few other maintenance items. I pulled the trigger on an order I had been putting off for too long. Hoping to get this list of things done in a timely manner. I'll be learning a lot going through this list and will likely have to ask for help here and there.

This '83 850G has 52,000 mies on her now, give or take. I replaced the speedo and am not sure of the new odometer's accuracy.

I've noticed the steering getting a bit wonky over the last year or so. Looking at the steering head and how smooth it turns left to right, there's no notchy feel. Also, with the front off the ground, there is enough resistance to keep from flopping over to one side so I'm thinking maybe the problem is in the rear. I've never removed a swingarm on a shafty but it seems a good place to start. New bearings are on order. I cannot find a propeller boot though so I'm hoping this one doesn't fall apart in my hand and I can reuse it.

Some of the oil leaks are clutch cover and pinion seal
    Cam end plugs, cam cover (real gasket silicone gasket ordered)
    Will check vallve lash while in there

Stator cover (used Caltric gasket two years ago and it leaks now)

Tachometer seals and various O Rings

This is an ambitious list for me. I may try and strip the clear coat off the case covers and polish them, we'll see.

The only leak I'll let go for now is a slow weep at the base gasket. Hopefully it stays as just a slow weep for a while longer as I really don't want to do the whole top end just yet. It runs great and last time I checked had decent cmpression.

That's my list for now.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

See if you can get a refund on the Real Gaskets. Yeah, they promise to seal every possible kind of leak, but the effort to make that happen is way to high. I tried one, my bike leaked more than before.

One of the things that needs to happen is VERY low torque settings on the screws. The effort to get the gasket to seal is VERY low, meaning that you likely need to use LocTite on the screws or go through the effort of checking them every week. An OEM gasket is FAR better, and likely cheaper. Z1 occasionally has an aftermarket gasket available at a VERY reasonable price.

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Super Site Supporter

Good to know, Steve.

I have a pretty new OEM gasket on there now properly torqued down and it's leaking. It was pretty deformed when I got it so I had to stretch it out in the sun. I used thumb tacks on a board through the bolt holes, not the gasket material itself, and it regained it's shape. It started to deform again when it cooled, collapsing in on itself. I wonderif that's causing the leak? It was NOS from an ebay seller.

Parts places are starting to list them as discontinued now. Are any other after market gaskets worh messing with? Athena? Nippon?
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Don't know anything about Nippon, but ANYTHING but Athena.

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Get a oem Suzuki camcover gasket and invest in a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench...HF has a cheapie. The cover bolts need 7 ft-lbs....I do it in two goes and have had no leak issues. But last time one corner cover bolt stripped out on me, so I had to retap and use longer.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Super Site Supporter

I know the half moon plugs are leaking, maybe the recent oem cam cover gasket is fine and oils just blowing around the sides. Probably not, but that would be cool.

I do have a 1/4" drive torque wrench and am careful to only give it 7 ft-lbs. I'm just surprised it leaked. The last three oem ones did not.
    Guess I could cut another one out of cork. That lasted a while,
    but I didn't really trust it. I'll check ebay when I get a chance. Turns out the clutch cover is back ordered so I'll have to search around for it too.

Do those gaskets ever get too old? NOS aren't too hard to find.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Super Site Supporter

Found the breather, cam cover and clutch cover gaskets on fleabay. $51 and change shipped. I was trying to avoid having multiple packages delivered by ordering them all from onlinecycleparts.com. They sent an email right away to let me know some parts were backordered. I called and they refunded them and I should see the rest next week. Fingers crossed.

I'm going to look for some aircraft stripper for the aluminum case covers. The local auto parts place says they have it for $20 / quart.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

You can get it in the spray can at OReillys or Walmart;

The one on 501 Coors Blvd has it for $17 and you shouldn't use it all

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...stripper&pos=1

Oh, and wear some good heavy duty gloves - that stuff is caustic to your skin. Also be sure to do it outside and nowhere near an open door/window into the house
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 03-23-2021 at 10:29 PM.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    You can get it in the spray can at OReillys or Walmart;

The one on 501 Coors Blvd has it for $17 and you shouldn't use it all

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...stripper&pos=1

Oh, and wear some good heavy duty gloves - that stuff is caustic to your skin. Also be sure to do it outside and nowhere near an open door/window into the house
    Thanks Scott. Looks like the store around the corner has some.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Super Site Supporter

Moved this thread to a more appropriate forum since it's more maintenance than rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    See if you can get a refund on the Real Gaskets. Yeah, they promise to seal every possible kind of leak, but the effort to make that happen is way to high. I tried one, my bike leaked more than before.

One of the things that needs to happen is VERY low torque settings on the screws. The effort to get the gasket to seal is VERY low, meaning that you likely need to use LocTite on the screws or go through the effort of checking them every week. An OEM gasket is FAR better, and likely cheaper. Z1 occasionally has an aftermarket gasket available at a VERY reasonable price.

They refunded the real gasket just before it shipped.
    Thanks again for the heads up on that.
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A