No announcement yet.

82 gs750 while riding starts backfiring and running choppy under acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs750 while riding starts backfiring and running choppy under acceleration

Ok so today I was riding went to pass a car down shifted got started accelerating and it starts sputtering and back firing, kept dying id set for a minute and start it back up idles fine get going down the road and it starts doing it again popping backfire and dies so I made it home cleaned the checked the carbs and flushed them, check spark it's getting good spark, I adjusted the valves about 200 miles ago any ideas on what the issue could be, I checked for air leaks didn't find any
    1982 GS750 T

Doesn't seem to do it at low speeds
    1982 GS750 T

Comment

Just a guess, check gas cap vent. If it’s block, not venting, could starve carbs of fuel when you get on the throttle?
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Nope tried it without the cas cap
        1982 GS750 T

Comment

Can you elaborate on “cleaned the... carbs and flushed them”?
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Well 200 miles ago I just did a carb rebuild soaked them in cleaner ect ect... put a dynojet stage 3 kit on them, been riding for a few weeks without any issues. So when that happened today first thing I did was take the carbs off took them apart flushed them out and re synced them
            1982 GS750 T

Comment

I also just topped my tank off about 10 blocks before, .... so I just got doing my valves again they were all between. 003 & .005 a couple were .006 I set them all back at .003 and changed the fuel the issue is now gone, I'm thinking it may have been bad fuel I don't see a couple valves being at .006 causing that but I may be wrong but any ways as of now it's not doing it anymore
              1982 GS750 T

Comment

I think I'm going to order new lash adjustment bolts and nuts, I know I got them tight and they had moved in 200 miles so I'm thinking replacing the bolt and nut couldn't hurt does anyone happen to know the part numbers I can't seem to find them online
                1982 GS750 T

Comment

Working...
                X