Missing for a decade GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing for a decade GS1000G

Hey guys, was pretty active on this forum 8 or 10 years ago when I was doing my restoration/build project, but I've been absent for quite a while. Getting the old beast back on the road, so I thought I'd pop back by.
    Sat in storage for about 5 years, pulled her back out last weekend.
    1981 GS1000G, caught fire and burned the wiring harness shortly after I bought it, so I turned it into a project bike.
    I'm doing this from memory, but here are the highlights.
    Stripped it down to the frame, using a magazine article from the early 80's I installed gussets and bracing on the frame and powder coated.
    Bored the engine out to 1085 (if I remember correctly) and installed GS1100 pistons.
    Complete carb rebuild.
    Vance and Hines 4 into 1.
    Pod filters
    Jetted carbs for exhaust and pod filters.
    Dyna coil green coils.
    Every screw and bolt including all on the carbs replaced with Stainless hex.
    complete NOS wiring harness (you could still find one a decade ago, not sure about now).
    Never been on a dyno, but if I was guessing I'd say about 110 HP.

I'm going to dig through old photos and see if I can find various progress photos. I'll post.
    This photo is on the trailer about to come home.
    Attached Files

Welcome back. Good luck with the recomissioning.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thank you sir. Quick carb clean and it's already running again. I'm going to have to re-coat the tank and I have a sticky brake caliper, but otherwise it survived my neglect pretty well.

Comment

Surely not Lebanon, TN. How long you been in Lebanon?, Trying to remember, Nate, in Lebanon, all I can remember is big Nate that worked at Neal's Amoco down on W. main st. Did you ever hang out at Floyd Wilson's Kaw. & Suzuki? I think I had the first GS1000G in Lebanon, an "80" model blue. Hey ride that thing out here to Norene & I'll let you buy me a cold drink & bologna sandwich, down at the Norene store.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yes sir, born and raised. I lived in Murfreesboro for about 25 years from the 80's until 6 years ago. I will take you up on that! Probably back on the road in a couple weeks.unnamed (4).jpg
          Last edited by nate665; 03-25-2021, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Rounded up a few pics from the original restoration. Still looking for more. Here are the frame mods.
            I know this diagram is probably posted in multiple threads on here, but here it is again, I added all the gussets and braces shown in this diagram.
            unnamed (3).jpg

Comment

Hi Nate,good to know you have your GS1000G back out of storage,they don't like to sit I was looking at the diagram and wanted to ask you how you fit the front fuel tank mounts with those 'A' braces up the top of that area ? Bill

Comment

If you place them correctly and size them correctly there is just enough room I believe. The braces on the front have to be placed VERY carefully as well because it's very easy to create a situation where the headers won't go through to mount to the engine. This was a decade ago, but lots of small tack welds and test fitting if I remember correctly. I'm searching for a photo of my actual frame with all the bracing done, but haven't found one yet.

Comment

Nice... An 80/81 1000G with an 82/83 1100G engine in it would be a bike I'd like to have... sounds like you've made just that Welcome back.

Not sure if you're aware but the twinpot brakes & bigger rotors can be made to fit that bike. Extra stop as well as extra go is never a bad thing
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Nice... An 80/81 1000G with an 82/83 1100G engine in it would be a bike I'd like to have... sounds like you've made just that Welcome back.

Not sure if you're aware but the twinpot brakes & bigger rotors can be made to fit that bike. Extra stop as well as extra go is never a bad thing

Hey Salty, I remember you well.
                    I think I looked into that brake upgrade at one point. I should put it on the list!

Mid carb cleanup and petcock rebuild at the moment now that I have it running again.

Comment

Yeah I have brackets here when you're ready, there is an extra Caliper option with the new brackets and they are a bit smaller /neater.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                        Hi Nate,good to know you have your GS1000G back out of storage,they don't like to sit I was looking at the diagram and wanted to ask you how you fit the front fuel tank mounts with those 'A' braces up the top of that area ? Bill
                        You were correct. Too tight to do as shown. We had to replace those with gussets and then beat them in a bit with a hammer,

IMG_6159.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X