750 cams in a 1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750 cams in a 1000?

I read this question on the net, and, while people there verified that installing 8 V 750 cams in a 1000 provided a big power boost.

As Gustov piled a bunch of motor parts in my van during his last rally, I have a nearly complete 750 head with cams taking up space.

So, I need to know if I should keep these cams. I already have slotted cam sprockets
    Last edited by Big T; 04-04-2021, 01:19 AM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

The 750 and 1000 cams share the same lift, but the 750 has 8 degrees more duration. I doubt you would notice the difference.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      The 750 and 1000 cams share the same lift, but the 750 has 8 degrees more duration. I doubt you would notice the difference.
      Ed how do you (and certain others) go around knowing all this stuff? We'll keep you around here forever.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
        Ed how do you (and certain others) go around knowing all this stuff? We'll keep you around here forever.
        Hi Allie,

First off, what the he11 is that avatar? It's creeping me out!

Regarding the facts about cam lift and duration, it's in the factory service manuals. I can't remember all this stuff but I can look it up.

The only thing I "remember" or know, is that 8 degrees of extra duration won't add much power. Geeks like me watch lots of youtube engine build videos where you can learn this sort of $hit.

Now time for muffins. Or in my case, a pizza. Did you see my pizza thread in the campfire?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks, Ed

I was more than a bit dubious about the gains in HP
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Am I right in thinking Suzuki put the 1000 cams in the 850? It's been a long time for me to try and remember this stuff.
            Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
            1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
            1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
              Am I right in thinking Suzuki put the 1000 cams in the 850? It's been a long time for me to try and remember this stuff.
              From the parts x-ref, yes. The GS850 and 1000 shared exhaust cams 79 to 83 and intake cams for 79, but the listing may be incomplete.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Hi Allie,

First off, what the he11 is that avatar? It's creeping me out!

Regarding the facts about cam lift and duration, it's in the factory service manuals. I can't remember all this stuff but I can look it up.

The only thing I "remember" or know, is that 8 degrees of extra duration won't add much power. Geeks like me watch lots of youtube engine build videos where you can learn this sort of $hit.

Now time for muffins. Or in my case, a pizza. Did you see my pizza thread in the campfire?

Hahah last year people were sporting those cheery cartoon avatars on Facebook so I made one appropriate for the times by pasting Commodore Decker's mug on one (Just before he gets incinerated in the planet killer's maw). I guess it's old news now.

I did not see your pizza thread. I'll look for that to continue off the thread topic. I like pizza too!
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Nothing to me, but a guy in parts wanted is looking for some cams that will work in a GS1100GL to get reground. Rekon you got anything that may help him out? 750, 850 1000 are the same, maybe 1100 also.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I guess in a restricted race series where you are trying to legally ring every fraction of a HP it might have been a mod to use....
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      I guess in a restricted race series where you are trying to legally ring every fraction of a HP it might have been a mod to use....
                      Here, for production racing, what you did was get Suzuki NZ to build - and homologate as production - a run of bikes with Yosh Stage 2 cams, the 30mm carbs and big bore pipes.
                      There is of course a long existing controversy as to how many were built. They are also changing hands for ridiculous money.

I've said before on 750 cams, it's not what model cam you have in the motor, it's the timing you use that makes the difference.

Comment

I have ran both 750 and 850 cams in various incarnations of my GS750 big bore bike... The 850 cams should be the same as the 1000 cams, but the cam sprockets may or may not be different timings.
                        And also I believe the lift is not the same between the 750 and 1000/850 cams, I believe the 1000 has slightly more lift, whereas the 750 has slightly more duration.

As far as the difference in similar engines, I definitely noticed more mid-range grunt with the 850 cams and 850 cylinders that I am running now on my 750. I have ran the 750 cams on both a 750cc setup, as well as 850cc and 920cc.
                        The 750 cams with their additional duration absolutely have more high-end horsepower, plenty enough additional to notice, but the 850/1000 cams are definitely more fun in this displacement range on the street without having to rev it to the moon and alert everyone within 3 miles of ludicrous riding style wringing the *@%^$* out of your engine!

The added mid-range grunt was absolutely noticeable on the swap to 850 cams, but the lack of that extreme acceleration at the top of the tach was definitely noticeable now that I'm not running the 750 cams. On an 844cc engine with a 4-1 Delkevic exhaust and K&N RC-2222 air filters, both camshafts were very fast, but both had different characteristics that were noticable.

I think that in a 1000 cc engine having more torque by default due to the displacement, the 750 cams would be plenty fun on the street and for when you really can rev it to the moon. Although the cam tensioner set up on the head on the 1000 is not as happy to rev much above redline, unlike the GS750 and GS850 cam tensioner set up, with the additional idler wheel in between the cams. Running a heavier duty aftermarket cam chain for the 1000 per rapid ray's recommendation will alleviate most troubles you would have with wearing out the cam chain on the 1000 from revving it too high.
                        Pops Yoshimura actually modified the 1000 heads to run the 750 cam chain setup with a custom length chain I believe! That alleviated their endurance race troubles with the cam chain setup.
                        Last edited by Chuck78; 05-26-2021, 03:00 PM.
                        '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                        '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                        '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                        '79 GS425stock
                        PROJECTS:
                        '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                        '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                        '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                        '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                          Pops Yoshimura actually modified the 1000 heads to run the 750 cam chain setup with a custom length chain I believe! That alleviated their endurance race troubles with the cam chain setup.
                          He did, but it was not sturdy enough. Using the KZ1000 roller was the solution.
                          At least that's what John Ulrich stated in his description of the Yoshi GS1000 mods.
                          Can't find that article now though ...
                          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                          Bikecliff's website
                          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                            He did, but it was not sturdy enough. Using the KZ1000 roller was the solution.
                            At least that's what John Ulrich stated in his description of the Yoshi GS1000 mods.
                            Can't find that article now though ...
                            And it's not correct now anyway. Better camchain, cams and springs have made the standard tensioner blade work.
                            They put in the center sprocket to get more chain wraparound on the cams. The springs they used made this neccessary.
                            There are roadrace GS1000's here running more lift than Yosh did without the extras they used - with no problems.

Time does not stand still. Better parts are available than they had then.

Comment

Working...
                            X