Spline grease trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spline grease trial

Just came across Molyslip AS 40 assembly / anti-scuffing paste, so I'm giving it a try on the rear splines next wheel change.
    Should function ok, if the stuff stays in place. Prior to this I've been using Castrol Moly grease which has a moly content but might be as low as 4%.
    The Castrol grease hasn't led me to suspect it's not up to the job, as I've had no spline wear in many years and miles, but it might be good to find a much cheaper alternative to the wickedly over-priced Honda Moly paste.
    This stuff is 40% moly; there is a 60% moly paste but couldn't find that anywhere.

Last edited by Grimly; 03-27-2021, 06:05 AM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

For reference: 500g is over 1 pound.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have a tin of rocol ani-scuff it has a very high moly content but is similar to the moly one in the post, I use it on the wheel splines and it is great for coating the camshafts on assembly.
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

I have a tube of that Moly assy stuff. I've been noticing that it dries out.
        I wonder how high the Moly content would be if I helped it along a bit?
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

If this stuff dries out, I suspect it will leave a fairly good film on the surface anyway. However, I can try mixing a little bit of the Catrol moly grease with it, so that I still have the greasy nature of the Castrol, but heavily fortified with the active ingredient.
          The impetus to try something different came when I saw how badly worn the drive splines were on a wheel I bought, but I suspect it had hardly ever been greased.
          ---- Dave
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Just be aware of how you mix them. If you mix it 50/50 your 40% moly paste becomes 20% moly paste.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Interesting...

Then there is the famous Honda moly grease, which was mandated for use on their shaft driven motorcycles in connection with a GWRRA-inspired 1982 GL1100 driven flange warranty extension, a great product originally containing some 45 percent actual moly metal content, later revised to 60 percent and depended on by many. Recently though Honda quietly and inexplicably superceded the part number for this grease to a China-sourced run of the mill assembly lube containing a third of the original's moly. Now all those Honda (and surprisingly, BMW) drive shaft bike riders have to find their high content moly grease elsewhere.
              ---- Dave

Comment

LOCTITE makes the 60% moly paste and combined with Belray's water proof moly grease it stays put even in wet conditions or pressure washings .
                1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars View Post
                  LOCTITE makes the 60% moly paste and combined with Belray's water proof moly grease it stays put even in wet conditions or pressure washings .
                  Yep, my last tube of the Honda good stuff is very nearly gone, and the Loctite moly paste is a great substitute.

It's Loctite LB 8012. I think I ordered mine from Amazon, or it might have been McMaster-Carr. The container says it's 65% molybdenum.

I don't see why you'd need to mix or dilute it with anything; it's waterproof on its own.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                  X