No announcement yet.

Dynatek ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got confirmation that it's in time, time to start up.

Also that method is called static timing, it's what you do so you're able to run the bike but then you need to time more.

I had the fully advance reacting correctly I was just wondering why the light would stay on when the time was going through the T and F mark, I didnt know if something was up.

Well, time to start it up!
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

It is indeed an oil pressure sensor. I have been wanting to do this exact thing but I'm not sure they make a plate for the 650. The chain drive bikes of other displacements use a different design for their plate. The advancer is also slightly different in size so I would guess that the dyna S wont work for us. Let us know what you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceJellyfish View Post
        It is indeed an oil pressure sensor. I have been wanting to do this exact thing but I'm not sure they make a plate for the 650. The chain drive bikes of other displacements use a different design for their plate. The advancer is also slightly different in size so I would guess that the dyna S wont work for us. Let us know what you find out.

Dyna S will work fine with the 650, you do have to grind part of the plate out for the oil pressure sensor to not interfere, and they give a replacement piece for the advancer. Just dealing with some other stuff right now but the dyna installation worked just fine and you can plug it up to where the ignitor used to plug into the coilpack wires, easy to time with a testlight just a bit tedious to get it on point
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old post, but where can I find this coloured diagram? Trying to do the dyna S install on a 650-G right now.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          The end of the red oil pressure switch should have a wire with a lug terminal screwed into the hole in the end of it. Wire probably green w/yellow stripe.

Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
          Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

Comment

Anyone have any advice for Sarcvicious? I just checked the BikeCliff website but non of the GS650 wiring diagram links work.
            Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
            1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Yes, all of the 650 diagrams appear to be dead links. The link for the GS1100G ‘82 (color) Works and should be nearly identical with most things concerning the signal generator (pickup coil) to the ignitor to the coils (and the rest of the bike as well). Suzuki was very consistent in wiring colors and layout between models.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-27-2021, 12:35 AM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                Yes, all of the 650 diagrams appear to be dead links. The link for the GS1100G ‘82 (color) Works and should be nearly identical with most things concerning the signal generator (pickup coil) to the ignitor to the coils (and the rest of the bike as well). Suzuki was very consistent in wiring colors and layout between models.

thank y’all! Trying to sort out the wiring gremlins today.

also I’m likely waaaaaaay overthinking this, but once the coils are wired, what do I do with the wires that initially went to the ignitor (I have the dyna s and the green coils in wire up).

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcvicious View Post
                  thank y’all! Trying to sort out the wiring gremlins today.

also I’m likely waaaaaaay overthinking this, but once the coils are wired, what do I do with the wires that initially went to the ignitor (I have the dyna s and the green coils in wire up).

okay so on the original wiring setup the OEM ignition will go straight to the ignitor, and the ignitor will go to the coil wires, when you delete the ignitor you are able to wire the dyna ignition straight to the coil wires that used to plug into the ignitor.

personally if i was updating the ignition system (and i have!) i would replace the wires that ran from the ignitor to the coilpacks and also install a coil relay mod just to ensure you are always getting those 12 volts you need, i was on the phone with dyna and they said that the dyna S actually deals better with a voltage higher than 12 rather than a voltage thats under 12.

i will let you know if you do the coil relay mod you will have to undo a splice in the harness, but its well worth it if you go that route, otherwise you will have to hook power to the ignition some other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP6GG8EYCoE here is a video of how mine is setup, i also have a 82gs650, it is a L model but the ignition system should be the same lol.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by 650Skull
                    82 GZ-GD............right click and open in new tab ..........thendownload.........
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]63634[/ATTACH]

you have a rather large quantity of 650 bikes, i cant blame you id like to get a hold of an xs650 at somepoint, but itd be chopped up and ruined.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

@sarcvicious New post with new photo from manual.
                      82 GS650GZ
                      IMG_3392 crop rotate crop auto enhance shpn lightly copyright.jpg

If you want a larger sized diagram PM me so i can send you the unedited size. Site resized the pic
                      Last edited by 650Skull; 11-29-2021, 03:28 AM.
                      82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                      Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                      Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                      Albums

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                        you have a rather large quantity of 650 bikes, i cant blame you id like to get a hold of an xs650 at somepoint, but itd be chopped up and ruined.
                        Yea that happens.........My son has butchered my 83 heritage special without my permission.........Was trying to do slight mods and to work with him but his vision wasn't a comprimise
                        82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                        Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                        Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                        Albums

Comment

Thank you so much for this. Video is helpful too.

Comment

Thank you so much for this. Video is helpful too.

i figured it might visualize whats gonna be going on better, looking back at it i didnt explain some things that well lol. hopefully all goes well!
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Hey Ian, or anyone else really. So the right side coil has o/w & b/y. Does it matter if b/y is on top or bottom?

also, how important is it to have the coils face down and forward versus down and back?

Comment

Hey Ian, or anyone else really. So the right side coil has o/w & b/y. Does it matter if b/y is on top or bottom?

also, how important is it to have the coils face down and forward versus down and back?

black and yellow is the bottom wire, orange and white are always top wires, what happens is ignition opens the circuit and causes a spark, so the power wires can go to either one because its the ground wire thats really doing the work. i would do plug wires facing forward, the tank might not allow the other way.
                                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                                X