No announcement yet.

Dynatek ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please watch the video! I understand now what's going on, CDI gets deleted, ignition gets hooked up straight to coilplug wires. I have two questions

What to do with the green and yellow wire that was part of the OEM ignition

And what to do with the black and white wire that is part of coilplug wires (have a feeling its a ground)

Please watch!
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Green and yellow was oil light, have it hooked up and working, now just wondering about black and white wire. All 4 cylinders do spark but I dont want something to be left alone if it needs to be messed with
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

I have side 1 and 4 timed correctly but side 2 and 3 will not show a light at all nomatter where I move the piece on the plate. This is a brand new ignition. What's the possibilities of why it wont show up?

Timing is set to full advance, magnet is placed correctly, all is correct but the light will not show. I did have spark to all 4 cylinders when I checked but ofcourse this is when the bike was not running.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Isn’t the 2-3 setup fixed opposite 180 degrees to 1-4 setup on dyna plate.....so if 1-4 looks good, you should be good to go timing wise. Of course, you did check that your mechanical advance was behaving ??
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            Isn’t the 2-3 setup fixed opposite 180 degrees to 1-4 setup on dyna plate.....so if 1-4 looks good, you should be good to go timing wise. Of course, you did check that your mechanical advance was behaving ??
            Yes it on the other side of the plate but I'm meant to time it with the mechanical advance at the fully timed mark, and with mechanical advance opened up. Mechanocal advance working just fine.

Messed with 2-3 placement so not sure if it's set correctly now.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Does anything have to be in between the signal generator and coilpacks? Its just running straight to them

^ useless question
              Last edited by timebombprod; 04-04-2021, 10:02 PM.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Scratch all that, somebody with old bikes was helping and didnt understand how the bike would work without having the igniter in place.

Okay so, to be up to date with what's going on, I have the dyna ignition hooked up, i have spark going to all four plugs, I am now just sorting timing.

Hoping somebody here has done the installment recent enough to know what to do.

When I'm checking timing. I am hooking up my testlight to the frame of bike to have a ground, and then placing the other end on the negative connection on the coilpack, having the mechanical timing set at full advance and opening the mechanism up all the way imitating as such. What I'm looking for is the test light to go off when the advance is fully open and then the light goes away right after the advance starts to close. Does that sound right?

Am I meant to check it on the positive sides of the coils instead?
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Well, it seems to be working correctly, 1 and 4 spark simultaneously as does 2 and 3.

Gonna turn on tomorrow hoping for a nice constant idle and a smooth rev climb
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Progress is always nice. Hopefully, your misfiring days are over and you can focus on tweaking carbs.
                    I’d borrow a timing light to check that advancer is working
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      Progress is always nice. Hopefully, your misfiring days are over and you can focus on tweaking carbs.
                      I’d borrow a timing light to check that advancer is working
                      If anything seems to be off, I will. I don't think I know anyone with one and they cost about $70. We will see what happens.

Yes, hopefully the misfire is gone, seems like it will be, and if that idle climb is still there, well now the bike will be able to sustain itself at idle.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Hopefully buddy that's been helping out lately has one, his bikes are forsure old enough to need one.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Should timing light stay on while timing is going through t and f, advance is not opened just has timing set there
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Ian. Someone posted a Dynatec setup procedure for you on one of the FB pages. Might have been Suzuki GS owners Group. I have no experience with this and don’t know the guy. Could be total BS. Wish I knew more and could help. Sorry.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                              Ian. Someone posted a Dynatec setup procedure for you on one of the FB pages. Might have been Suzuki GS owners Group. I have no experience with this and don’t know the guy. Could be total BS. Wish I knew more and could help. Sorry.
                              All good, it reacts correctly to the fully advanced mark, but I was just curious whwhy the light stays on while going through the t and f marks
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Here it is

Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                                X