fuel tap issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel tap issues

Hello folks any advice appreciated. I rebuilt the fuel tap on my gs850 with rebuild kit. The tap now hardly flows on prime, on, or reserve and engine wont start but overflows into engine overnight and leaks with oil from somewhere onto floor. Slight amount of petrol in oil. Dropped the oil and replaced but not sure what to do now because already rebuilt tap. The bike has just been recommisioned after sitting for a few years. I have cleaned the carbs. What to check or do next? Thanks

Also I have an inline fuel filter.

Comment

You need an OEM fuel tap, (petcock), the rebuild kits don't work.

And get rid of the fuel filter, not needed, and reduces flow.

Welcome to the forum...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

On pri. all openings should be wide open, vacuum or no vacuum. Sounds like something didn't get put back together correctly. You may want to look in the carbs/fuel/exhaust section. There's a post down there from just a couple of days ago that may help. Like he said, you shouldn't need the fuel filter if the one on the pet cock is there & in reasonable condition.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hello thanks for the advice and now I see I put question in the wrong section. I cant find an oem fuel tap from Uk sources. They are available Usa ebay for over £100 shipped and taxed. Has anyone had luck with the cheaper aftermarket ones? Can source aftermarket for £17. Do you guys think I might have carb float valve issues aswell as the tap? Cheers Christopher

Comment

The cheap aftermarket ones are surprisingly nicely made, but they're rubbish at doing their job, with weak springs, etc.
            My 79 tank has a rebuilt (with OEM parts) petcock and it works well. The 80 bike has an adapter plate and a Harley petcock.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher View Post
              Hello thanks for the advice and now I see I put question in the wrong section. I cant find an oem fuel tap from Uk sources. They are available Usa ebay for over £100 shipped and taxed. Has anyone had luck with the cheaper aftermarket ones? Can source aftermarket for £17. Do you guys think I might have carb float valve issues aswell as the tap? Cheers Christopher
              I bought this one and it’s been fine for over two seasons now, through many a switch between prime, run and reserve.

Perhaps they have a UK source?
              1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

That looks original, very good and cheap. An unusual combination.
                joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

The cheap ones are a total crapshoot.
                  I bought one a year or two back and while it seemed nicely made, it wouldn't shut the fuel off worth a damn. Weak spring in the diaphragm.
                  No point in fiddling around trying to cure it, as I'd never trust it, and should it fail in use, I really don't want a crankcase full of fuel or five gallons dribbling down the workshop overnight.
                  That got replaced by a strictly manual Harley aftermarket tap, on a plate adapter bolted under the tank. I'm now solidly in the habit of turning it off.
                  ---- Dave
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    The cheap ones are a total crapshoot.
                    I bought one a year or two back and while it seemed nicely made, it wouldn't shut the fuel off worth a damn. Weak spring in the diaphragm.
                    No point in fiddling around trying to cure it, as I'd never trust it, and should it fail in use, I really don't want a crankcase full of fuel or five gallons dribbling down the workshop overnight.
                    That got replaced by a strictly manual Harley aftermarket tap, on a plate adapter bolted under the tank. I'm now solidly in the habit of turning it off.
                    After more than a decade riding vintage British where you always turned off the fuel tap it still rattles me when I just walk away from the GS without turning off the fuel.
                    1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                      After more than a decade riding vintage British where you always turned off the fuel tap it still rattles me when I just walk away from the GS without turning off the fuel.
                      First bike I bought with an auto tap was an XS750, and it was great not having to remember to turn the tap off. Every bike since has come with them, but resurrecting the old habit took a little while. As I say, now it's become second nature again.
                      ---- Dave

Comment

Not to argue but I just installed a petcock kit from 2 fast moto ($17) and it works perfect. The diaphragm I bought first didn't work because the o-ring shaft was too short and wouldn't seal unless I bent the disc that seats in the spacer.
                        1978 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                          I bought this one and it’s been fine for over two seasons now, through many a switch between prime, run and reserve.

Perhaps they have a UK source?
                          This particular petcock is widely available, inexpensive, and has the right bolt pattern for 80-81 850Gs. But the fuel outlet is on the back of the petcock facing inward instead of on the front facing the engine like the OEM. Has that proved to be any kind of issue with regard to routing the fuel line? My preference is to have the port where it is more visible and accessible.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I never remember that problem, I think the back of the valves are square so the outlet can be rotated in 4 different directions. Remember, I'm not perfect, I was wrong once, so no guarantees.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                              Remember, I'm not perfect, I was wrong once, so no guarantees.
                              You were only wrong in thinking you were wrong that one time.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X