Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel tap issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default fuel tap issues

Hello folks any advice appreciated. I rebuilt the fuel tap on my gs850 with rebuild kit. The tap now hardly flows on prime, on, or reserve and engine wont start but overflows into engine overnight and leaks with oil from somewhere onto floor. Slight amount of petrol in oil. Dropped the oil and replaced but not sure what to do now because already rebuilt tap. The bike has just been recommisioned after sitting for a few years. I have cleaned the carbs. What to check or do next? Thanks

Also I have an inline fuel filter.

Baatfam is online now Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

You need an OEM fuel tap, (petcock), the rebuild kits don't work.

And get rid of the fuel filter, not needed, and reduces flow.

Welcome to the forum...
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Not to argue but I just installed a petcock kit from 2 fast moto ($17) and it works perfect. The diaphragm I bought first didn't work because the o-ring shaft was too short and wouldn't seal unless I bent the disc that seats in the spacer.
    1978 GS 1000

On pri. all openings should be wide open, vacuum or no vacuum. Sounds like something didn't get put back together correctly. You may want to look in the carbs/fuel/exhaust section. There's a post down there from just a couple of days ago that may help. Like he said, you shouldn't need the fuel filter if the one on the pet cock is there & in reasonable condition.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Hello thanks for the advice and now I see I put question in the wrong section. I cant find an oem fuel tap from Uk sources. They are available Usa ebay for over £100 shipped and taxed. Has anyone had luck with the cheaper aftermarket ones? Can source aftermarket for £17. Do you guys think I might have carb float valve issues aswell as the tap? Cheers Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Hello thanks for the advice and now I see I put question in the wrong section. I cant find an oem fuel tap from Uk sources. They are available Usa ebay for over £100 shipped and taxed. Has anyone had luck with the cheaper aftermarket ones? Can source aftermarket for £17. Do you guys think I might have carb float valve issues aswell as the tap? Cheers Christopher
    I bought this one and itís been fine for over two seasons now, through many a switch between prime, run and reserve.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GSXY9PD/..._rv_eml_rv0_dp

Perhaps they have a UK source?
    1982 Suzuki GS650G

That looks original, very good and cheap. An unusual combination.
    joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Beez View Post
    I bought this one and itís been fine for over two seasons now, through many a switch between prime, run and reserve.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GSXY9PD/..._rv_eml_rv0_dp

Perhaps they have a UK source?
    This particular petcock is widely available, inexpensive, and has the right bolt pattern for 80-81 850Gs. But the fuel outlet is on the back of the petcock facing inward instead of on the front facing the engine like the OEM. Has that proved to be any kind of issue with regard to routing the fuel line? My preference is to have the port where it is more visible and accessible.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by dpep View Post
    This particular petcock is widely available, inexpensive, and has the right bolt pattern for 80-81 850Gs. But the fuel outlet is on the back of the petcock facing inward instead of on the front facing the engine like the OEM. Has that proved to be any kind of issue with regard to routing the fuel line? My preference is to have the port where it is more visible and accessible.
    I recently installed one of these on a 1980 850G, and it worked fine. It was a little more fiddly to get the fuel and vacuum lines in place and routed so that they would coil smoothly without kinking when lowering the tank, but there was just enough clearance. We thought about rotating the back plate, but I wasn't sure that would be a good idea.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.