Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fuel tap issues

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Beez View Post
    After more than a decade riding vintage British where you always turned off the fuel tap it still rattles me when I just walk away from the GS without turning off the fuel.
    First bike I bought with an auto tap was an XS750, and it was great not having to remember to turn the tap off. Every bike since has come with them, but resurrecting the old habit took a little while. As I say, now it's become second nature again.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Not to argue but I just installed a petcock kit from 2 fast moto ($17) and it works perfect. The diaphragm I bought first didn't work because the o-ring shaft was too short and wouldn't seal unless I bent the disc that seats in the spacer.
    1978 GS 1000

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Beez View Post
    I bought this one and itís been fine for over two seasons now, through many a switch between prime, run and reserve.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GSXY9PD/..._rv_eml_rv0_dp

Perhaps they have a UK source?
    This particular petcock is widely available, inexpensive, and has the right bolt pattern for 80-81 850Gs. But the fuel outlet is on the back of the petcock facing inward instead of on the front facing the engine like the OEM. Has that proved to be any kind of issue with regard to routing the fuel line? My preference is to have the port where it is more visible and accessible.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

I never remember that problem, I think the back of the valves are square so the outlet can be rotated in 4 different directions. Remember, I'm not perfect, I was wrong once, so no guarantees.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    Remember, I'm not perfect, I was wrong once, so no guarantees.
    You were only wrong in thinking you were wrong that one time.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by dpep View Post
    This particular petcock is widely available, inexpensive, and has the right bolt pattern for 80-81 850Gs. But the fuel outlet is on the back of the petcock facing inward instead of on the front facing the engine like the OEM. Has that proved to be any kind of issue with regard to routing the fuel line? My preference is to have the port where it is more visible and accessible.
    I recently installed one of these on a 1980 850G, and it worked fine. It was a little more fiddly to get the fuel and vacuum lines in place and routed so that they would coil smoothly without kinking when lowering the tank, but there was just enough clearance. We thought about rotating the back plate, but I wasn't sure that would be a good idea.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Quote Originally Posted by dpep View Post
    I had to buy some fuel line from Canadian Tire to get it to fit, I needed about 4Ē and paid about $2 for a foot. Easy install. Itís been over 3,000 km with multiple transitions from Prime, Run and Reserve.
    1982 Suzuki GS650G