GS750 Steering head adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Steering head adjustment

Hi Guys, I've not got/had any other bike that's had an "extra" central pinch bolt on the headstock stem before and having issues adjusting the steering stem correctly so would just like to confirm the sequence for the GS please. It's normally a straight forward job but for some reason I'm having an issue with the GS and hoped you can help.
    Normally I'd loosen the center nut and top fork pinch bolts, adjust the play with a C spanner and retorque the center stem nut, re check smooth movement/no play, then the fork pinch bolts, job done. But on the GS I've found retorquing the center nut 1st after getting the bearing adjustment/play right changes/tightens the bearings up a bit, should the centre pinch bolt be retorqued up 1st ?

Thanks Guys ��
    1978 GS750C

In case you don't have it already this is a link to the factory manual for your bike.

Sounds like your sequence is okay; loosen the three pinch bolts on the triple clamp, tighten the large bolt over the steering stem, then tighten the pinch bolts. I don't know why tightening the large bolt would change the steering stem adjustment. What I do know is that Suzuki used crappy round ball bearings in the steering neck and that changing them out for taper rollers is a worthy upgrade.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts and the link to the service manual, much appreciated. The binding/tightening after retorquing the center nuts has got me puzzled that's for sure.
      I'd prefer taper rollers too but I've read that the stem needs to be modified and tbh I don't want to strip it all unnecessarily.
      1978 GS750C

Comment

As far as I know, the stem doesn't need to be modified at all, at least on my 550 I didn't. I will admit the old races are a pain to remove but it can be done with some time and enough "influence" shall we say?

You don't say which 750 you have, might want to put that in your signature block to make life easier on you and us, but a quick search on All-Balls website shows that at least for the 1980 750, the prices aren't too bad

All Balls Steering Bearing Kit - No. 22-1004

I'm sure you can also find something closer to you there in England that will have something available
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yeah, the stem does need the mod if it's a '79 or earlier 750.

Last edited by allojohn; 03-28-2021, 11:03 AM.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

That's good to know; thanks Allojohn
            sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Sorry Guys should of added that the bike is a 1978 C model
              1978 GS750C

Comment

Might want to add that to your signature block so you won’t need to tell us again in the future
                sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Might want to add that to your signature block so you won’t need to tell us again in the future
                  Thanks for the heads up, hopefully I've added it as suggested
                  1978 GS750C

Comment

Would anybody be able to offer some advice/an opinion about the headstock retorque sequence issue I've been having after adjusting the bearings, should the central pinch bolt be tightened 1st ?

Many thanks, Harry
                    1978 GS750C

Comment

Doesn't appear to me the central pinch bolt is doing a whole lot of anything, tighten it last.
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Hinge View Post
                        Would anybody be able to offer some advice/an opinion about the headstock retorque sequence issue I've been having after adjusting the bearings, should the central pinch bolt be tightened 1st ?

Many thanks, Harry
                        Once you have adjusted out any play on the bearing castle nut you should first tighten the main stem top bolt/nut to seat the top yoke and then tighten the fork clamps either side and then the stem pinch bolt last if fitted .
                        If you tighten the centre stem nut last after the fork clamps you risk flexing the top yoke which could possibly lead to cracking of the casting..
                        Last edited by zed1015; 03-31-2021, 10:14 AM.
                        Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                        VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X