Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What puller to remove the magneto flywheel on a gs450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the starter relay solenoid must be hanging up in the ON position. I don't understand how the starter motor would keep running after I turned OFF the ignition?? There was no stopping that thing short of pulling off the battery ground. Might have to order another solenoid, but I am going to try again today to see if I can assess what is happening when the engine starts ... and identify the extra noises it is making especially at idle.
    Dennco2
    1985 GS450
    Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Comment

The solenoid big wire is connected direct to battery +....if solenoid is faulty, once activated by button, it “locks” on .....it doesn’t care about ignition being “off”
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        The solenoid big wire is connected direct to battery +....if solenoid is faulty, once activated by button, it “locks” on .....it doesn’t care about ignition being “off”
        Okay, makes more sense to me now. I started the engine today and all sounded normal at idle ... so a half hour later I took the bike out for a short ride. When starting the engine for that ride, the extra noise returned but I rode the bike keeping the rpms quite low. Every time I slowed the engine to idle I would feel the engine lurching and could HEAR the starter motor running and adversely affecting the engine idle and smoothness.

My starter solenoid relay is definitely bad and I will order one ASAP. Otherwise, the engine ran quite normal altho I didn't really test high rpms. I would love to start riding this bike reliably and not have to fix things!!!
        Dennco2
        1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

“Every time I slowed the engine to idle I would feel the engine lurching and could HEAR the starter motor”

when you eventually turned bike off, did you hear the starter running? Or do you think when bike was running, the non energized starter motor was being “dragged” around by a locked up starter clutch? The starter clutch might have jammed up due to the starter motor issue before. Sadly, you better remove stator cover and investigate starter clutch again...it needs to release the big gear or unpleasant noises plus bonus events will ensue.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

In a test ride a week ago or so, I could feel a drain in engine power and I believe the starter clutch was intermittently grabbing on to be driven direct drive by the engine. It would grab and release and grab again, along with an annoying howling, growling noises and spinning up the starter motor. On this trip however, I did not feel grabbing friction. All I felt was at low idle, the engine wanted to die but couldn't because the starter motor was always spinning. When I pulled into my driveway and turned off the ignition .... the starter was still turning the engine and would not stop till I pulled the battery ground.
            Dennco2
            1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

I have ordered another starter relay and it should arrive next Saturday. By next Sunday, I hope to have this problem solved and will report back hopefully with good news.
              Dennco2
              1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

A new starter motor relay solenoid has been installed .... and performs fine. The old relay was unreliable and would stay in the ON position sometimes. Since pulling the magneto flywheel and inspecting and reassembling the 3 steel clutch bearings, the starter clutch has been working fine too. When I finally was able to pull the magneto flywheel and look at the 3 roller bearing .... 2 of them had fallen out of their correct position. Don't know if they were like that before .... or by me holding the whole assembly in the wrong position after removal from the shaft.

Doing short rides as I don't trust the bike for reliability as yet. The 2 issues mentioned are seemingly fixed! Now I have to check the voltage being generated with engine at 4,000 rpm and see if the stator & R/R system is charging the battery while running. I also have ordered a used SH775 for my gs450 if needed .... or will put it in my GR650 Suzuki which also has a charging problem ... not yet looked at. One bike at a time.
                Dennco2
                1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X