GS(X)1100ESD Long term project.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS(X)1100ESD Long term project.....

You know that time when you have done it all and the only thing that will change your mind is if your old bike re-appeared you’d just have to buy it back?

Well I’m in that place.

In 1986 or was it 1987 I sold my GS(X) 1100ESD and let her go. About 11,000 miles on the clock and in good condition. I always loved that bike even thought it was a pig at handling in the dry and even worse in the wet. Moving on to 2004, when my kids were young I needed a project so bought an Italian import into the UK.

Rode it for a year to find the faults then stripped it down to restore it and play homage to my original. Took it to a VJMC show in Kettering where the bike was slated by the judges and my decision to never do another but and bolt restore was formed. I rode the 1100 home, parked it and I was done as a restorer.

The bike languished in the shed as more bike classic Suzuki’s arrived, where loved and ridden, yet the 1100 never got ridden or sorted out.

Roll on Feb 2020 and the arrival of covid 19. I spent lockdown 1 in my garage sorting 5 bikes out to run and ride. Well I had retired from work after 41 years so I had the time. The last one sorted was the GS(X)1100. In June 2020 all 5 bikes ran and could be ready for the road plus be UK legal.

My time as a bike restorer and fixer were over. I’d bought a boat. The plan was to sort it out and then get on the water sailing. Lockdown 2 stopped that.

Moving to a month ago, a friend of mine, Ex UK military, has been hankering after his old bike. He knew that I searched for parts of my bikes in the past and I was looking for boat stuff so asked if I could have a look for a bike for him. Ever up for the challenge I said yes and the start of something unexpected happened. Over 3 weeks I sent him various lists of possible bike projects but nothing had fired his attention. Then just over a week ago I was doing a search. Here we use Autotrader, Gumtree, Ebay and Facebook Marketplace as just a few options. So there I was sitting at my computer looking at Facebook marketplace. Third picture of the day and I thought, ‘I recognise that back end.’

There on the screen was a 1984 GS(X)1100ESD not 25 miles from my home. Flicked to the next picture and I just stopped. I did a double take then had to pop out to the shed to check something. In my shed was the last part of my old GS(X)1100, the number plate I kept. I walked back in and sat at my computer for 20 minutes in totally shock.

There for sale was my old GS(X)1100. A few messages later, a planned Covid safe meet and i went and had a look. Yes, she’s very tatty and rusty. She’s not been road legal here in the UK for over 24 years. A few bits were missing but there was a lot of replacement parts available and I knew I had a load of spares stashed away (not like Mustie1 on YouTube though.) I weighed it up made him and offer which he accepted and he even offered to drop the bike back when I was ready.

So Friday my old GS(X)1100ESD returned home.

She’s going to need a lot of work to be right for my taste and how I do it will not be everyones idea. Its going to take time, I’m going to need a few used parts so I hope people will be willing to help as and when I need bits. I’m grateful to ‘Londonboards’ who’s already offered to sort the carbs out and offered a few rear indicators.

It looks like I will be working on the boat in the summer and dry winter days and at night time, wet summer, wet winter days on the GS(X)1100ESD.

So you never know what’s around the corner. Will I sell the 2004 fulled sorted GS(X)1100ESD to give me the room to actually do the right thing for my original. The answer is I don’t know.

SM
    Last edited by Suzuki Mad; 03-29-2021, 11:30 AM.

Congrats, on getting it back. Looks like it gained a trick swingarm.
    Sad to see the deterioration, but good that 24 years later its still a complete bike. Looks like its in good hands.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Big fan of the ESD here. Congratz & what a great story! I will be following your story. Be safe!
      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Congrats, on getting it back. Looks like it gained a trick swingarm.
        Sad to see the deterioration, but good that 24 years later its still a complete bike. Looks like its in good hands.
        Indeed. The JMC is a very cool piece. Will it be kept on the bike, or will you be returning to OEM?
        Paul

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
          Indeed. The JMC is a very cool piece. Will it be kept on the bike, or will you be returning to OEM?
          I'm a standard guy so for me the JMC is already off the bike and consigned to the scrap bin. Now the hunt for an ESD swinging arm.

Comment

Scrap? Is it damaged?
            I'm in the States, plus no longer own an 83-3 1100, but I'd think someone would surely want it.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

So far I have a quick look around her.
              Removed the foot rests to find that somebody has decided to chop the gear change pivot stud off the frame.

That will need more equipment that I have here to solve. An issue to get around.

Another issue is that one of the PO’s has fitted stainless steel Allen heads where all the socket headed Suzuki bolts were. I’m guessing they went in dry so that could be a pain in the butt to get them out and copper slip or silver slip them.

I had a go at the rear brake and the bleeders came out easy enough. Tried one on one of the front callipers and it snapped off flush just like a carrot.

I am stopping there on them for the time being. All the callipers will have to be fully sorted. The front master cylinder will be an issue as I have just found out from my local Suzuki dealer than that models repair kit has been discontinued by Suzuki along with the front calliper repair kits. Thats going to be hard as they are the same as the ones on my 1981 registered GS1000ET.

On the upside the JMC swinging arm spindle has come out of the rear wheel (it was seized in)

and the sprocket carrier bushing that was seized on the shaft is now off.

Another plus I checked the front sprocket to see if a chain had come flying off but all the cases are sounds there.

With that I whipped the points cover off and using a 19mm ring I could turn the engine over by hand with the plugs in. Sadly there wasnt a lot of compression but on the up side there was no horrible noises.

So much for an untried non running engine when you buy a bike.

SM

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Scrap? Is it damaged?
                I'm in the States, plus no longer own an 83-3 1100, but I'd think someone would surely want it.
                When I say scrap pile, it means of no use to me or unwanted by me. The only damage I can see is a few small scrapes from where the sprocket was clipping it with the seized spacer and wheel spindle and the PO has cut one of the retaining bolts to free the cams so the remaining bolt will need to be drilled out. After that its missing 6 bolts/Allen heads/Torq's. 2 into the spindle and 4 to clamp the cams in the arm.

Comment

Count me in to following along. A mate here had a GSX1100ESD for a while and unfortunately the timing wasn't right when he sold it as it would've been a good accompaniment to the Kat in the garage, they're definitely cousins!
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki Mad View Post
                    I'm a standard guy so for me the JMC is already off the bike and consigned to the scrap bin. Now the hunt for an ESD swinging arm.
                    Suzuki Mad, I would be eternally grateful if you would consider shipping it to the states. I would gladly add it to my ever growing pile of parts. It would also make a fine mate to my Metmachex!

PM inbound
                    Paul

sigpic

Comment

Spent what I would call an unproductive day on the project. I went through al my GS/GSX spares boxes, trays and tubs seeing what I have in stock. Sorted through 6 plastic boxes of bolts, washers and nuts to find a few that fitted and were missing. Labelled up a lot of the old used spares too. Found a rear wheel spindle with spacers, GS1000 adjusters, rear brake hanger, washers and castle nut which went onto the rear wheel. So now I need the stock swinging arm and torque arm.
                      With that all done I refitted the rear tank support. Its needs a few cushions plus spacers that I dont have in stock.

Pleased with that had a look at the large box of parts that came with the bike. Lots of GS1000/850 bits but not a lot to fit to the 1100. Pulled the rear brake calliper out and decided to see if I could pop the pistons and see what they were like. The brake carrier is tight on the calliper and the calliper Allen bolts are also very tight. With that I'm having to work around those issues. Managed to pop one piston out. It's not bad on the sides but I was never aware that they could go rusty inside the calliper. Tried to refit the piston and didn't have any luck at all. In the end gave up and went hunting in the shed. Glad a friend many years ago made me several sets of GS1000 rear brake pistons in stainless steel and I still have a few pairs spare.....

Comment

All tucked in and safe. Not had this much work done to her in over 20 years.

Ordered some 'O rings' for the carbs that will take a while to come.

Comment

I've had a few days chewing the project over, had 25 different views on what to do next and have done absolutely nothing.

The Stainless steel socket heads in the cases and rocker box annoy me as does the lack of original swinging arm. But I need to bite the bullet and look at the motor. Do I drop the sump off, clean the strainer and get all the junk out while looking for metal bits.....then pull the rocker off and check that the valves all work as they should giving the bike a swing over on the crank. The shove a battery onboard and see what lights up and what doesn't........ At that point I talk myself out of it and walk away.

I know the carbs will have to be done as she wont run right till they are cleaned.

I have oil, filters so what am I waiting for?

At that point I'm back on the internet hunting down prices for parts using my parts catalogue. I guess I am worried that its ruined and cant be repaired. My last ESD rebuild ended up with hylomar in the strainer and oil ways that caused oil starvation to the top end. Exhaust cam shaft and followers later plus 9 cogs in the gearbox plus spaces and thrust bearings she was sorted. Am I that concerned about it and then trying to find the bits to sort it out if it is.

I wonder how many other people go through these thoughts and patterns while doing a bike?

Comment

So I went and had a look.

The 4 into 1 headers go right over the sump drain bolt so the headers have to come off!!!

Looked at the headers and No 3 exhaust has one of its bolts sheared off almost flush to the head!

Checked the engine bolts and it's clear that the whole engine had been apart as none of the original Suzuki bolts are the even on the sump. So she's been apart at some time in her life. :-(

I think that's decision made.

Comment

A bit more delving and found this.

What's happened here is the mixture screws on these carbs were brass. They also had a habit of seizing in. The GSX1100EFE have the same style carb with the same style but different material mixture screw. So the evidence is here that somewhere along its life line the brass ones seized so somebody dropped the posts the mixture screws go into and put EFE ones in as the brass ones are not available from Suzuki and not shown as a part number!!!!

Do you like the fuel line with filter!

I dont think the PO wanted the vacuum tap to work like it was designed to. Good use of a Suzuki no 7 bolt though.

And here we have the PO's love of Socket heads Allen bolts in stainless.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B.

So with this all mounting up its looking harder to do a return to standard as I would like too. I want to keep as much of the original bike as I can than put new bits on and say its the original. So it's going to have to live with some old bits that have been changed and altered.

With the lack of a front brake master cylinder rebuild kit from Suzuki and other places such as aftermarket from Tourmax, I had been looking at a Bandit 1200 front master cylinder. Even that made me at odds with myself and my desire for originality.

I wonder if my OCD for originality will survive this onslaught of stainless steel bolts than genuine Suzuki ones?
                              Last edited by Suzuki Mad; 04-02-2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X