Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GS(X)1100ESD Long term project.....

Spent what I would call an unproductive day on the project. I went through al my GS/GSX spares boxes, trays and tubs seeing what I have in stock. Sorted through 6 plastic boxes of bolts, washers and nuts to find a few that fitted and were missing. Labelled up a lot of the old used spares too. Found a rear wheel spindle with spacers, GS1000 adjusters, rear brake hanger, washers and castle nut which went onto the rear wheel. So now I need the stock swinging arm and torque arm.
    With that all done I refitted the rear tank support. Its needs a few cushions plus spacers that I dont have in stock.

Pleased with that had a look at the large box of parts that came with the bike. Lots of GS1000/850 bits but not a lot to fit to the 1100. Pulled the rear brake calliper out and decided to see if I could pop the pistons and see what they were like. The brake carrier is tight on the calliper and the calliper Allen bolts are also very tight. With that I'm having to work around those issues. Managed to pop one piston out. It's not bad on the sides but I was never aware that they could go rusty inside the calliper. Tried to refit the piston and didn't have any luck at all. In the end gave up and went hunting in the shed. Glad a friend many years ago made me several sets of GS1000 rear brake pistons in stainless steel and I still have a few pairs spare.....

All tucked in and safe. Not had this much work done to her in over 20 years.

Ordered some 'O rings' for the carbs that will take a while to come.

I've had a few days chewing the project over, had 25 different views on what to do next and have done absolutely nothing.

The Stainless steel socket heads in the cases and rocker box annoy me as does the lack of original swinging arm. But I need to bite the bullet and look at the motor. Do I drop the sump off, clean the strainer and get all the junk out while looking for metal bits.....then pull the rocker off and check that the valves all work as they should giving the bike a swing over on the crank. The shove a battery onboard and see what lights up and what doesn't........ At that point I talk myself out of it and walk away.

I know the carbs will have to be done as she wont run right till they are cleaned.

I have oil, filters so what am I waiting for?

At that point I'm back on the internet hunting down prices for parts using my parts catalogue. I guess I am worried that its ruined and cant be repaired. My last ESD rebuild ended up with hylomar in the strainer and oil ways that caused oil starvation to the top end. Exhaust cam shaft and followers later plus 9 cogs in the gearbox plus spaces and thrust bearings she was sorted. Am I that concerned about it and then trying to find the bits to sort it out if it is.

I wonder how many other people go through these thoughts and patterns while doing a bike?

So I went and had a look.

The 4 into 1 headers go right over the sump drain bolt so the headers have to come off!!!

Looked at the headers and No 3 exhaust has one of its bolts sheared off almost flush to the head!

Checked the engine bolts and it's clear that the whole engine had been apart as none of the original Suzuki bolts are the even on the sump. So she's been apart at some time in her life. :-(

I think that's decision made.

A bit more delving and found this.

What's happened here is the mixture screws on these carbs were brass. They also had a habit of seizing in. The GSX1100EFE have the same style carb with the same style but different material mixture screw. So the evidence is here that somewhere along its life line the brass ones seized so somebody dropped the posts the mixture screws go into and put EFE ones in as the brass ones are not available from Suzuki and not shown as a part number!!!!

Do you like the fuel line with filter!

I dont think the PO wanted the vacuum tap to work like it was designed to. Good use of a Suzuki no 7 bolt though.

And here we have the PO's love of Socket heads Allen bolts in stainless.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B.

So with this all mounting up its looking harder to do a return to standard as I would like too. I want to keep as much of the original bike as I can than put new bits on and say its the original. So it's going to have to live with some old bits that have been changed and altered.

With the lack of a front brake master cylinder rebuild kit from Suzuki and other places such as aftermarket from Tourmax, I had been looking at a Bandit 1200 front master cylinder. Even that made me at odds with myself and my desire for originality.

I wonder if my OCD for originality will survive this onslaught of stainless steel bolts than genuine Suzuki ones?
    Last edited by Suzuki Mad; 04-02-2021 at 08:13 AM.

SS allen bolts are an improvement on the cheesysteel OEM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Been up since 5:30am and the house is asleep apart from me and the dogs.

It's a cold blustery April morning and too early to be making noise in the workshop.

I am wondering what the hell I am doing. 59 year old looking at a bike I owned when I was 23. It's looking a dam sight rougher than I am.

I chatted to my cousin in the IOM last night. He's a Norton guy and does full restores on them. As I said, we chatted and his view was getting it running and on the road then ride it and enjoy it as it is. Don't change anything. Get the parts you need slowly as they come up and swap a bit out at a time.

I look at the rusty frame with the original Suzuki sticker and frame number and think I saw that in 1984. Then think 'he's right.' But then part of me isn't at peace.

I genuinely hate the Socket headed Allen bolts in stainless steel and all I want to do is rip it down to a bear frame, get it media blasted and repainted to start with. Then pull the untested lump apart, clean it up and rebuild that. Then find unobtainium such as new BS34 carbs in black, all the original Suzuki bolts. I guess my answer is I far prefer working on them than riding them and I like the original.

17 years ago I had a plan and a dream to pay homage to my original GSX1100ESD, which I did. Now what do I do with the real thing. I guess I wanted it as it was back in 1984 and its not.

So this is what I have found so far as in jobs to do.

Rear brakes.
    Rear brakes are shot. The seals kits are on longer available from Suzuki. I have got stainless steel pistons here but need seal kits to sort that out. They are apart and bleeders are working so I guess that's a bonus. The rear brake master cylinder is Not working. It will need a rebuild kit.

Fronts brakes are shot too. Suzuki stopped making the seals and piston kits for those too. I will have to buy stainless pistons and new seals from somewhere else..... add in for good measure the front master cylinder shot. Suzuki dont do kits for this also. It looks like I will have to go with a Bandit 1200 master cylinder and swap the clutch side to a 600 bandit to match. Add to that I snapped a bleeder off the front left calliper. It was rotten as a pear! I've left the right side alone. Haven't tried the anti dive ones.

I also have run out of brake fluid!

Moving around the bike.

No 3 cylinder has a broken stainless bolt in one hole.

The trick swinging arm needs work on the shaft to go through the bearings and take 8mm bolts. Think somebody other than me was using a rather large hammer on it and has burred the edges of the shaft and where the bolts go in. Also one of the cam clamps has what's left of a cut off bolt in the hole that needs removing. Then I will have to source new bolts so it can be tightened up. I'm also not sure if its been converted to a 530/520 chain size than the standard 630 size.

The Headers have to come off to get at the sump and drain bolt! Oh joy. I'm not sure the exhaust will fit so thats being shelved until a later date.

It needs a Battery and an air filter too.

Forgot to mention the frame repair for the gear change to work too.

Long term work will be rust prevention. Do you strip and repaint/stove enamel/powder coat?
    Bearings. Replace the lot? Steering, wheel, swinging arm bearings?

So lots of fun here.

I tried yesterday to get a spare battery on to it to see what lights and electrics worked and failed miserably. Then realised that the two keys are 2 different keys. One works the ignition the other the tank, helmet lock and tail seat lock.

I'm thinking of just parking it up and walking away, maybe even scrapping it myself for the parts. A real shame.

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I think that a lot of these projects turn out to be more than imagined... Just keep going, you'll get there eventually

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Think on it for a few days.... Then decide.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/