Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front wheel bounce

Hi everyone,

I installed a new front tire and balanced the wheel, yet I'm getting a front end bounce around 40mph. I've read tension in the forks can cause this, and I read a procedure somewhere to remedy this issue but I cannot find where I read it. Something to do with loosening the fork and axle bolts, then retightening in a certain order. Can anyone clarify the order for me? Any additional tips?

Thanks!
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Bike on centre stand.
    Leave the top fork clamp alone.
    Loosen the bolts on the lower fork clamp.
    Loosen the bolts holding the fender / brace
    Loosen the axle and its clamps.
    Bounce the front of the bike down onto the tyre a few times.
    Tighten everything back up, working upwards.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thank you, Grimly!
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

I installed a new front tire and balanced the wheel, yet I'm getting a front end bounce around 40mph. I've read tension in the forks can cause this,
        ...and if that ^ doesn't fix it, it's possible your tire bead is not seated. Look closely and you will see a fine line on the tire near the rim. Any dips indicate a bad seating. It can be noticed spinning the tire with a rod or pencil or chalk piece clamped close to the tire as you spin it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Bike on centre stand.
          Leave the top fork clamp alone.
          Loosen the bolts on the lower fork clamp.
          Loosen the bolts holding the fender / brace
          Loosen the axle and its clamps.
          Bounce the front of the bike down onto the tyre a few times.
          Tighten everything back up, working upwards.
          I think this did the job! I loosened everything, bounced the front end and tightened back up, going from bottom to top. Then I took the wheel weights off. Rode down a smooth road and she's nice a smooth.
          Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          ...and if that ^ doesn't fix it, it's possible your tire bead is not seated. Look closely and you will see a fine line on the tire near the rim. Any dips indicate a bad seating. It can be noticed spinning the tire with a rod or pencil or chalk piece clamped close to the tire as you spin it.
          Yes, I double checked this first because that was a concern. I even broke the bead, put in some tire lube and reseated the bead to ensure it was centered. Seems to be fixed now.

Comment

Working...
          X