Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click but no turn over

Hello!

I bought an old gs last summer and it was running fine when I parked it.This spring I went to change the engine oil and it was full of gas. Changed the oil and filter and went to start it and it wouldn't turn over. Talked to a friend that said the battery was probably shot so I bought a new one and still nothing. A click but no turn over.

I'd try the solonid you could try jumping the solonid as well.
    1983 GS 650 gl

1982 GS 850 gl

1980 GS 550L

1982 GS 650 G(KATANA)

Gsx 1400 daily ride

Comment

Try yanking the spark plugs out. You may have filled a cylinder with fuel???
      Ron
      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
      1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
      1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
      1982 GS1100E
      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

If you have and you crank it with the HT leads nearby you could ignite the fuel.
        Turn it over by hand with a spanner on the ignition pickup or does it have a kick starter.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Check main fuse
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

“Try yanking the spark plugs out. You may have filled a cylinder with fuel???”

I’d suspect this too..bad petcock /wrong petcock position could have dribbled fuel thru carb throats into cylinder causing lockup....starter motor won’t be happy!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you want to spin it over with the plugs out DISCONNECT THE COILS. I had this problem on a 93 ZX6
              I left the coil wires laying on the valve cover. Hit the button and a plume of gas shot out of #2 and promptly burst
              into flame. The only funny part was watching my friend run around the garage with a fire extinguisher yelling
              " How do I make this work ?!?!"

Mad
              83 GS750E
              2006 ZX14
              2004 KTM 450 EXC
              2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Okay so I tried a few things... the engine is locked up tight... can't seem to get it loose

Comment

Was one of those things removing plugs.

if gas in oil, maybe you left petcock in PRIme position. Gas in cylinders too. May have since drained past the rings but washed away oil.

Change oil.
                  remove plugs turn engine with wrench on crankshaft nut (behind ignition cover).

then go back to trying to turnover with starter......

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Sunfox View Post
                    Okay so I tried a few things... the engine is locked up tight... can't seem to get it loose
                    Take off ignition casing and try spinning the bolt if that's what you haven't done already. If everything else seems in place and you can spin the motor as such, you might have a bad starter? Dont know for sure.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

If you can't rotate the motor with the plugs out, there is something seriously wrong inside. Possibly bent valve.
                      Like mentioned, try rotating with a wrench. If it rotates to a point and stops, back up all the way around. If it stops
                      in both directions, you have a bent valve hanging open.
                      One other possibility is the starter gear is stuck. Maybe take the starter motor out and see if the engine rotates.

Mad
                      83 GS750E
                      2006 ZX14
                      2004 KTM 450 EXC
                      2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
                        If you can't rotate the motor with the plugs out, there is something seriously wrong inside. Possibly bent valve.
                        Like mentioned, try rotating with a wrench. If it rotates to a point and stops, back up all the way around. If it stops
                        in both directions, you have a bent valve hanging open.
                        One other possibility is the starter gear is stuck. Maybe take the starter motor out and see if the engine rotates.

Mad
                        It's locked up tight in both directions with the plugs out and turning it by hand so it sounds like a bent valve or starter gear. I'll check the starter gear next to see. If its a bent valve do you think its worth trying to fix? I wonder how this could have happened, the only thing I can think of is if the gas was leaking into the oil without me noticing and continuing to ride it with thinned out oil? Would that do it? It's weird that it seemed okay when I parked it.

Comment

Doesn't seem, to me, a bent valve would have it locked in both directions. If the piston came up & hit the valve & stopped, it should be free to turn the other way & piston go away from the valve. If the starter gear were locked, even welded to the crankshaft, the crankshaft should still turn. If gas got into the oil, at least 1 cyl. wall got the oil washed off as the gas went thru. If it won't budge in either direction & it was running when parked it seems nothing could be broken, bent, or out of adjustment, just seized. How about, with sparkplugs out, douse each cylinder good with plenty of penetrating oil then get it into 5 th gear & with clutch engaged sit with your wt. on the seat rock it back & forth, letting the rear wheel try to free it up. No guarantees, just a thought.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I've seen the cylinders rust a bit during storage, if that happened and it isn't real bad breaking it loose might be doable. The rings can stick just enough where it wont turn. Put an ounce or two of motor oil, or spray with penetrating oil in each cylinder and let it sit at least a few days. Don't try to turn it over with the plugs in after that. First I would try to turn the crank directly. You can also get a compression gauge hose and screw it into the cylinders one at a time and plug an air compressor hose on it. On a 70mm piston @125 PSI this creates about 750 pounds of down force. If it breaks free you might get some oil out of the other cylinders, at least lay a rag over the open spark plug holes before you apply air pressure.
                            1981 GS1100E
                            1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                            X